SPEYROD SIDE PLANER SEMINAR

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by bennysbuddy, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    In an effort to override the bead & bobber controversy, I would like to see if there is any interest in a seminar on how to use a luhr jensen side planer and hot shots with a speyrod and scandi head. This method is fool proof in the wind & eliminates the need to learn all of the spey casts. and since your using 25 feet of fly line it's a legal fly fishing method .
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    :beathead:
  3. guybg New Member

underwood, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The Steelhead population may be in trouble, but the wild trolls are multiplying like rabbits...lol
  4. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Side planning is much more advanced than trolling, And there are very few subject matter experts on the subject
  5. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    really..............shit's not even funny anymore, grow up
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Okay Dad,I'll stop before you take my mouse away!
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    Jezzus, lighten up a bit. Our rivers are closed so we play around on the internet but, no, you want to shut that down also. If you don't like the post freakin' ignore it. If it isn't anything anybody wants to talk about the thread will scroll off the board in short order. Sticking your freakin' nose in and telling people what to do only keeps it going.
  8. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Now-now Kerry lighten up. We all know that some posters shouldn't be allowed on the Internet if they have a large 'Adult Beverage' in hand.

Besides, with a switch rod, the side plainer idea just might work. That said, the use of a Scandi head might be questionable. I'd vote for a long belly line of some sort ....
    ;>)
    fae
  9. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I'm in! And while everyone is on the bank waiting their turn for a 1-on-1 lesson I will be demonstrating the fine art of fly kites with a spey rod, while butt naked.
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    A fine offer there ... until you got to the last two words. I'll take a pass.:hmmm:
  11. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    I'm in, sounds like fun!!!!
  12. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    CAR FULl hear FOLOWS

THIS COULD BE BUG .. AND I DO MEAN ... REALLY, RALLY, BUG... ops, GIG, no! B0g, no!! no!! Concrete, ON Fred,, coonsontrte .. BIG.

We strt smil and gro in strenth. Two day, regonal, to morw the world!

U hvae my word no it.
    eaf
  13. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    if one wanted to stay classic one should use an old Triangle Taper Long Belly for a line, looking deeper , use an "American Made" side planer as well
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    I've got a long belly triangle taper that I'm going to try out on my bamboo fly rod, add a balsa wood that is hand painted and I should be pretty damn retro. I even have a tweed irish cap that a friend sent me a short while back. I should be set. I'll use this rig out on the Hoh at 10,000 cfs and hang on for some big predatory fish action.
  15. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Fred Likes! No Baby Boo's here, but do have a 'Boo 13 foot 2-hander which would be very much in line with the context of this thread.
  16. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Like an old Hardy Heavyweight?

I remember McNeese showed me one of those things years ago. It was a like a 17 footer and weighed about 17 lbs .... perfect for side planing at 10000 cfs + ,,,maybe 12000, like above though, hold on tight, one of those 700lb tuna may be lurking
  17. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Not in this case, rod was made for me in Norway ... of all places.
    :>
  18. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    WW , what type of line do you recomend(skagit, scandi, longbelly) I'm guessing by your mode of dress this will be a summer time demo on youngs bar perhaps? I'm betting between you , kerrys & I we could put on a speyclave nobody would forget.
  19. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Careful where you go with that BB ...... this IS a family board.:clown:
  20. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    We will need to get mumbles down there with his boat and the new "pole" to really add a taste of class to this thing.