Speys for SRC's

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by wet line, Aug 4, 2005.

1. wet line

wet line New Member

Yes that is definately a keeper fly.

I am rapidly becoming quite impressed at how well these smallish spey fly patterns produce. In the past week I have fished 5 different patterns and all have produced. I find that quite amazing. The fishes willingness to chase down the fly and hit it multiple times on the same swing or retrieve is quite intriquing. It seems as if they miss on the first strike they come back and hit it with a vengence.

Dave

2. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Two spey-style flies have worked for me in the past on SRCs and searun Dolly Varden... the Borden Special tied with a sparser (is that a word?) spey hackle dyed hot pink or yellow, with the signature yellow over pink hackle at the throat and white polar bear or substitute for a wing. The other has been the DC Cutthroat Spey. I have fished these in both estuaries and streams with good results, especially the Borden Special. If I can borrow a camera in the next couple of days, I can take a photo or two to share if anyone is interested.

Steve Cole
    Olympia

3. wet line

wet line New Member

Pictures are always good!

Dave

4. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Poor photo as I am still figuring out the camera but for what it's worth, this is one of my renditions of the Borden Special spey-style.

Steve

5. wet line

wet line New Member

Steve,
    That is a great looking fly and I like the looks of the flys in the back ground also.

Dave