Spider Pattern?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mike S, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Mike S

Mike S New Member

I like to consider myself a decent googler, but I cannot find a recipe or pattern for the Spider and Reverse Spider patterns, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am heading out for some SRC action and would like to give this pattern a try.

Mike

ps. i did see mention of the Knudsen Spider in the archives, but no pattern,

2. Loopy

Loopy Member

This guy ties a pretty neat spider. It also just happens that we were at the same school.

http://www.spidersplus.co.uk/

Hope it helps.

:beer1:

3. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  4. Loopy

Loopy Member

Not another Brit abroad!

:beer1:

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  6. Preston

Preston Active Member

I think I've done this before, I know I've done this before. The Knudsen Spider is a very simple pattern. Traditionally, the body is tied of yellow chenille (other colors optional, of course) the hackle was originally tied rather full but now utilizes no more than three turns. The hackle is mallard flank tied so the fibers flow back and over the body, usually a little longer than the length of the body.

Mike Kinney's Reverse (or Reversed) Spider is a bit more complicated, but quite easy and quick to tie with a little practice. I'm going to try to attach step-by-step instructions I put together. See below.

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

Dunno why I'm having so much trouble posting this. Ah, OK maybe this'll work.

8. candr

candr Daryl

I've attached a picture of a reverse spider. Hackle is a little crushed from being fished. I usually tie them on a #6 hook (like the Daichii 2421)

The steps I follow are:

-attach thread, wind back down hook shank to approx. across from hook point.

-I like to use dubbing for a scruffy looking body (seal substitute). Dub a contrasting color for a "hot butt".

-Tie in a short tail above the butt (no longer than the butt), mallard flank feather.

-Wind thread forward to just in front of hook eye. Tie in mallard flank feather by the tip, with fibers that when swept back extend just past end of hook. Wrap three turns back toward hook point. Tie off

-wind thread back to butt. Form dubbing noodle so that the body will end up carrot shaped with the thick end at the hook eye. I use zap a gap on the hook shank for durability and so that I can pick out the dubbing and make it really shaggy.

-wind dubbing forward up hook shank and over hackle so that hackle sweeps forward over hook eye. Tie off. Wait for glue to dry then brush out the body and trim to carrot shape if necessary.

-add weight to hook shank, or a bead under the hackle for a variation.

My process is probably a little involved, I think using chenille speeds things up. There are a million variations and color combo's for this fly and I'm sure you'll develop your own.

I love to swing this fly on a floating line. Picked up a nice summer run yesterday and about six cutthroat swinging a #6 black with green butt and natural mallard hackle. The purple, blue and red in the pic that I've attached works very well too.

Good luck.

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

I can't seem to open my own file, anyone else having a problem?

10. PETI

PETI Member

No problem opening it here.
    Maybe you can help with a problem I've encountered over the years Preston.
    Because the tie off is at the rear of the fly and encounters the teeth of the fish, I seem to have the fly's unravel after just a few fish, most of the time. I've tried typical head cement, super glue and doing several whip finishes with the glue to combat the problem. No success yet. Was thinking of epoxy on this years lot.
    Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Peter

11. Preston

Preston Active Member

Hmm, wonder why I can't open it. I've never had much of a problem with the whip finish coming apart if I hit it with a drop or two of head cement as the last tying step. When I first started tying the pattern, I didn't use head cement (I don't use head cement on the majority of my trout flies, even the larger ones, though I like to have a nice, smooth, shiny head on all of my steelhead flies; consistency being the bugaboo of small minds) and did find that the whip finish would occasionally unravel.

12. Mike S

Mike S New Member

Thanks for all the replies and THANKS Preston for the great instructions (I could open it).

I am heading out on an SRC trip and will tie up a few of these prior,

Mike

13. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I dress the tie-off threads on my Reverse Spiders with Softex and rarely have one come apart.
    Les Johnson

14. Norseman1

Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

Hi Mike

I think this is what you are looking for....great instructions.

http://mvff.tripod.com/Fly_Tying_2007/Advanced_Class/A02_Reversed_Spider.pdf

Cheers

15. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Got a swap going on right now gentlemen, open your eyes and look,LOL