splayed hook and jungle cock feathers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jim Kaiserman, Jan 26, 2008.

1. I've seen some steelhead flies tied on a "splayed" looking hook. Basically splits with two hooks instead of one. Who manufactures and sells these hooks? Also, does anybody know what they're using as an imitation for jungle cock eyes on steelhead/salmon flies and where to get them? I've looked in all the shops I frequent as well as a number of web sites and can't find either. Your help would be appreciated.

Jim Kaiserman

2. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    If this is what you mean by a splayed hook
    [​IMG]

they are called "doubles" and are a very old and common salmon hook. The brand most often seen are the various doubles of Partridge. There is no good imitation for jungle cock nails. There are plastic photocopy imitation sheets but these are truly an abomination. There is also a technique of cutting out a portion of a guinea fowl feather to end up with a tear drop shape and a sinlge white spot which is then dyed or inked with gold color but it is a poor visual substitute.

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    FWIW, while Jungle cock is a traditional material I highly doubt it contributes at all to the effectiveness of a fishing fly. So if the look is what you fancy, hit e-bay, Reds Shed, etc and get a top grade pelt. If your not looking for "authenticity" then just "fuggedaboudit."

4. "Partridge Doubles"....thank you. Now that i've got a brand Im sure I can find them. Per the jungle cock, I appreciate your comments. Doubt I'll be buying a neck but I do like the eye appearance it puts on a fly. thanks

Jim Kaiserman

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Also check some of the UK flyfishing websites. I think they make wider use of doubles than most in the US do (maybe just more than I see in the NW). Might be some other options.

Also, I don't want to sound like a negative nelly. I like the way JC looks to, it just adds that bit of historical authenticity to a fly. It's just that I agree you'll likely find substitutes a let down.

Good luck!

6. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    If your local dealers don't carry doubles you can get several styles and sizes of Partridge doubles through Anglers Workshop in Woodland, WA. They are on the web and if you call they are most helpful in getting you exactly what you need. In addition, they sell both jungle cock capes and packages of nails (10 to a package I seem to remember) and while they are more costly per/nail this way it is a lot less cash outlay at any one time.

7. FT

FT Active Member

Partridge isn't the only hook maker making double hooks. Daiichi, Tiempco, Targus, Mustad, Gaelic Supreme, and Kamasan all make them too.

8. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    How many do you need of have a bunch that may never see thread. If you need some let me know. You can make some nails using starling and paint, but that’s what they end up looking like, painted starling feathers. Nothing like the real deal.

9. I appreciate your information. I'll have to look harder as I looked for Partridge doubles and found some. $10.99 for 10. Since I'm not independently wealthy (yet) I'm going to have to either find a lesser expensive brand or stick to the hooks I'm already using.

One of the things I've learned with tying traditional steelhead flies and swinging them is that you don't go through too many. I've tied thousands of trout flies but you tend to go throug a fair amount of them each trip. Not with these. So, maybe the hook cost isn't that big a deal. I must confess that I have some type of illness that comes over me if I look in my fly boxes and they aren't crammed full of a couple of dozen of several sizes. Hell, that would be a lifetime supply of swinging flies for steelhead. The other problem is that I have too many friends that always need a few when we go. At a buck ten a hook, let alone the tying time and I'd get too attached to them.

Thanks,

JIm Kaiserman

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Lets see some examples

11. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I know that these hooks are rooted in steelhead and salmon flyfishing tradition, but I believe that we as steelhead fisherman should minimize any unnecessary impact on this precious resource. Why fish with a double hook point when a single size 6 or 4 octopus hook will achieve the same result? If you are tying on these hooks for presentation flies, then by all means pay the extra money and display your tying skills. If you are using them for flyfishing, then articulated flies will be your best answer in minimizing your LDR ratio, while reducing the harm on the fish. As a sidenote, when spey fishing I have yet to pierce my ears(close many times) but would rather have a single piercing than a double!!!

12. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    check out irish angler (Jack Cook)...I'm pretty sure he carries doubles and is a Washington source as well.

13. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

Woodfan: Listen to Obiwan. I have had several Canadian and English friends, who have use double hooks in years past, tell me that they should be used only when you intend to keep the fish. These hooks can do damage to a fish and cause bleeding that will often kill the fish soon after he swims away. Avoid their use when there may be wild steelhead and salmon about.

14. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

By the way, Woodfan, if you are still interested in a jungle cock cape, expensive thought they are, check out www.fishermensfeathers.com. These come from domesticated birds raised in England and the only source of capes of which I am aware.

15. Sorry it's been awhile since I checked this post. All of your comments have been very much appreciated. The web site in the last post certainly has a reasonalbe cost for some nails to try out. I'm going to order some soon. One gentleman asked for a sample since I'd tied "thousands" of flies. I'll attach a steelhead fly I tied up last October that I call the Perilous Blue. I did post it on one of these sites but will do so again. I tied this up about the 1st of October and used it on the Salmon River in Idaho on the 5th of October. Fished 4 hours swinging and then again the next day. Caught a 32" wild buck that jumped 7 times. Gave some to a friend that lives up on the river and he has caught a number of fish with it. Went back up 23rd of December and caught 3 fish in three days on it. Certainly don't want to offend anyone that may have used that name on some other fly but that's what I call it and it fits. This fly was used Wednesday (the 6th)morning to catch a 26" hen on the Salmon River. I'd appreciate any comments you might have on my fly. Hopefully my picture attachment makes it on here. I've done this once before so am not too proficient with it. The thumbnail looks ok but if you click on it it's too big. Maybe someone can give me a tip on how to post it in a better format.

Thanks, Jim Kaiserman