spliced rod ?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sourdoughsmitty, Jun 25, 2014.

1. just out of curiousity would it be possible to convert a ferruled rod into a spliced rod? this is a 13ft older nondescript cane rod thanks smitty

2. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

I think it would be possible but the rod would end up notably shorter than 13' and the taper would necessarily change. Also, most "old" spliced rods have "swells" at the splices to add integrity to the blank, don't know how you could swell the splices without adding material. Interesting idea that has gone through my head a few times also but I've never acted on it.

3. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Klickrolf is right about the rod ending up quite a bit shorter. If you work out the math, I think the rod would be at least a foot shorter, assuming you used 24:1 scarfs.

The biggest drawback would be big drops in dimension at the joint areas. When you make a rod from scratch with scarf joints, you build overlap into the taper to provide a smooth transition at the joints. On a conversion like you're thinking about, the upper scarfs would be significantly smaller in diameter than the lower ones, creating a "hinge effect" that would change the casting action, and create a weak point that would have a high risk of breaking. I wouldn't do it.

If you needed to replace the metal ferrules, a better solution would be graphite ferrules. If you'd like more information on this, let me know.

Tom

fredaevans likes this.
  4. Hey thanx for the info will now go looking for a spliced sharpes, I was just curious as I have this rod I am working withbest leave it as is thanks again if you know of any sources for a sharpes I might be interested smitty

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I have a spliced Sharpes, just mine is a greenhart. ;-)

6. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Jerry said: "I have a spliced Sharpes, just mine is a greenhart. ;-) "

(got a new computer and it won't let me quote with the reply button and I'm getting tired of it)!!!

I'd love to see it Jerry, would you be willing to post some pics? Old style gets more attractive the older I get, hmm, that rod is certainly older than a bunch of us. Why not showoff something that should be shown off. Do you fish it? Can I?

7. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Ok, apparently I can't fish it and apparently there are no pics coming. But, still wondering, I've never heard of a Sharpes greenheart spliced rod, thought they were all impregnated split cane?

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Sorry, been a busy weekend. I'll get some pics up. I've only fished it a couple times years ago. More of a wall hanger for the man cave. I'm tempted to try restringing it and seeing how it'll throw a lighter headed skagit or maybe a midspey (was using a full old fashioned DT on it years ago). I contacted Sharpes, it's an 1861 vintage (by writing on the blank). VERY SSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW action. LOL.

9. gotta remember greenheart and lancewood was the wood of choice long before bamboo and sharpes was around long before the impregnation process was developed I'll bet that ol greenheart will give youu a workout weight wise as it is fairly heavier than bamboo .Wall hanger take her out and use her and let her die an honorable death if neeed be she might surprise you

fredaevans likes this.
  10. Jerry Daschofsky

LOL, I've had this for YEARS! I HAVE fished it. And you're right, it's super heavy. But I handle weight for a living, so doesn't bother me like most guys. I've been tempted to get her back out. Just need to get line figured out for it. Been years and the DT I used on it has long since fallen apart.

11. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member