Spline on top or bottom...and other questions

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Ned Wright, Jan 28, 2007.

1. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    And so there you have it, the "house is divided" on the issue. "Different strokes for different folks!" :confused:

SuperDave
  2. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    Thanks for all your advice guys. As I mentioned earlier I was lucky enough to have the straightest axis line up with the spine...or about 10 degrees from it. This means that I am facing the dominant spine to the fish with the slight sag in the tip of the rod facing down.

I jumped in last night and epoxied the seat together, put on the fighting butt and attached the reel seat. Unfortunately, that was the extent of the epoxy and I am left having to buy more for the handle and winding check. I probably could have made it on the two packets, but the stuff set up faster than I thought and I had a panic moment and had to peel some from the blank that set up before I could get the reel seat on. When they said 3-5 minutes they ment it. I swear it was closer to the 3 minute side.

Ideally I would have had three packets one for the seat components and butt, one for the reel seat and one for the handle/check. But, this being said, next time I will get a bigger lot of epoxy that I can mix on an as needed basis.

Soon I get to start wrapping which I am pretty excited about. I did wrap about five guides to the blank before I attached the handle for practice and cut them off. Next time it will be for keeps :thumb: Planning on a simple trim wrap and going to try a simple feather inlay.

Wish me luck. I will post pics.

Thanks again,
    Ned
  3. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    Finding spines for the spineless...I was absolutely unable to feeeel a spine on the blank that I am currently working with.. ? I was able by looking at the cross section of each section to see where the wall thickness was greater on one side. I assumed I hope correctly that that was the spine? If not, any body want to purchase a half built rod?

Dave
  4. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    There has never been a clear winner in the spine debate. Usually I get pretty straight blanks, but straight axis is what a lot of people do.

As for the the spine, I have heard too many people state that you can soften or stiffen a rods' action (to a small degree) by how the spine is aligned. So if you have a fast action 4 wt that you want to have a softer tip, then put the spines on either side, if you have a 6 wt that will be used for streamer fishing, put the spines on top and bottom for example.

I'm not necessarily saying this is completely correct, its just one side of the story. Also, this is another of many great reasons to build your own rods. You can live by your own philosophies and have a rod that is an original. Its all your choice! :)
  5. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    My maxim is: "Spine toward the fish."

SuperDave
  6. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    I think that the biggest issue would be the tendency for a blank to rotate the rod where not built lined up with the spine. It seems to me that the action of the rod is still going to be a sum of both sides of the spine either being flexed or stretched when loaded. I wouldn't think that this would be a huge issue unless for example a forword facing spine would be more easily loaded on either a fore or back cast. I guess an analogy would be that if two trees of different thicknesses were standing parallel to eachother were tied together at their tops, wouldn't the flex be unaffected by which side the thicker tree where on? I could be way off here.

Well anyway, you could forget all this crap and build a spiral wrapped rod. Speaking of which, I wonder how spiral wrapped flyrod would function.