Spokane Area Lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Allan H, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Allan H

Allan H Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on fishing the lakes in the Spokane area?

I just moved over here from Everett and will possibly be here throughout the summer. I'm hoping to get out and wet a line on one of the upcoming weekends, but I haven't had any time for scouting, and being a bit of a novice, I'm still not sure where to even start.

I did some snooping around and found Swede's fly shop, just haven't had time to get in there (long work hours) and the guys at Sportsmans Warehouse were no help at all.

I was hoping someone here could maybe point me in the right direction.

Allan

2. Chris Allen

Chris Allen Member

Media:
    I'd try Silver Bow Fly shop. The guys there are nothing but helpful and the owner Sean is a great guy. Just down the street from where I work by the valley mall.

There are a lot of lakes in the area: Newman Lake, Liberty Lake, Long Lake, Silver Lake, Clear Lake, Medical Lake, West Medical Lake, Fish Lake, Badger Lake, Chapman Lake, Williams Lake, Amber Lake, Rock Lake, Sprague Lake, Downs Lake and Coffeepot Lake. I'd go to http://www.washingtonlakes.com and look up each of these lakes to get an idea of where they are, the type of fish available and check out the reports most recently added. I don't have a lot of experience but I've at least fished each of these lakes once, pm me if you have any more specific questions and good luck!

3. Chris Allen

Chris Allen Member

Media:
    As a side note, some of those lakes are not yet open to fishing, not till this weekend.

4. Allan H

Allan H Member

Thanks Chris,

I picked up a Gazatteer map book today and started looking at some of the lakes you mentioned. I live right off Hwy 195 near Hangman Creek, did some searching on this site and was dissapointed to hear the creek never clears up, it's a beautiful piece of water.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Allan

5. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    All the lakes around Cheney are rocking/ and or will be rocking by this weekend. Amber, just sw of Cheney was great for me yesterday. Also soon the Spokane River this summer is a great urban fishery as well.

6. Chris Allen

Chris Allen Member

Media:
    Hangman will eventually clear up. Maybe not for long, but it will, especially this summer. If you can find some public land to fish it, I'd go for it. There are trout in it, just not a whole lot. Mostly northern pikeminnow, suckers and redside shiners. The habitat just isn't suitable enough for a good trout population due to so much farm runoff.

7. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    The best lakes are north of Spokane. Get a Colville Tribal fishing license ($35) and a map of those three Northeastern counties and explore. The Gazateer will not show a lot of the smaller lakes that are stocked, your best bet would be the Metskers maps.