NFR Spokane River Redband Trout Fundraiser May 19th

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by aplTyler, May 11, 2012.

1. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

For my Senior project at EWU, I've created a fundraiser (held at Arbor Crest Wine Cellars in Spokane on Saturday May 19th 1-4pm) that is seeking to create and add signage along the Spokane River in Russian. The aim of this signage is twofold...

Attached Files:

2. aplTyler

Check out the poster for more info...

but a quick summary of the idea behind it/goals...

1. Inform the Russian angling community of the rules/regs on the river and on Redbands in general. Though a minority in terms of numbers of citations issued, there has been a rise in poaching on the Spokane by this subset of anglers. The signage should help these anglers feel more involved and will spread the word.
    2. Cut down on the poaching of Redbands in the Spokane. These fish already are faced with competition from non-native species, habitat degradation, and in-stream flow reductions/fluctuations.

Event will be followed by a loaded raffle!

3. aplTyler

Finally, tickets are only available online so please check out the poster and support Spokane River Redband trout and our Spokane community...

Come on out, bring a friend, your wife, or anyone interested in drinking good wine, painting, or winning cool prizes. PM me for more details/questions.

Thanks WFF!

4. aplTyler

The event is getting near and I'd love to see some WFF members out there this Saturday. We have over $1,000 in value in raffle prizes (and you get to chose what prize your tickets can be entered for... good stuff!), lots of great wine, and you'll get to take home a piece of art!

There is a $10 off admission offer this week as well... type in FRIEND at checkout and $10 comes off.

We got a little press in the Spokesman for the event as well... read the comments on the article and enjoy a little back and forth. The guy's original comment (which I responded to) was a bit racist... suppose it got deleted.
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/may/13/out-about/

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Good job Tyler, kudos to you and your classmates in this endeavor.
    Some people may scoff at the idea that second language signage will not help the poaching on the Spokane. I do not believe it. This will only increase awareness of the native Redbands for all anglers. AND at the very least it will take away any potential poachers excuse of "I did not know"
    I would be there but I have to work Saturday.
    jesse

6. aplTyler

The big day is tomorrow, and we have great news: the winery has allowed us to take guests at the door... you can get tickets on site (check/cash). Spectator tickets are $10 (drink wine, win great swag in the raffle) and participant tickets are $35 (drink, paint and take your art home with you, and win raffle goods!).

We have about $1,000 in raffle prizes (guided Spokane River trip, Northern Quest package, fly fishing paintings, etc...) and you should come down and win some!

We're going to help make a difference on the river and in the community and we'd love the fly fishing communities support.

1 PM start time at Arbor Crest Wine Cellars in Spokane Valley (off Fruit Hill Road). Event will run till 4 PM with the raffle set to begin around 3:30 PM.

-Ty