Spokane River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutcatcher6, Apr 27, 2009.

1. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    REMEMBER... IF YOU EVER HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE SPOKANE RIVER, JUST PM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey,

Just wanted to let all you spokanites and fly fishers in the area know this. The river is high and mighty! the river is runing off really well right now, and will probably be fishable in mid june at this rate. I've only caught one fish out of the river this year, and that was on easter... Hope to see some of you guys out there this year!! I will be at fish lake a lot!! WOOOOOOOOO!! lets start a great year for fishin' in Spokane County!! :D:D:D

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    i have question about the spokane river for you..

what is your favorite CFS? Personally, i love fishing the riverside stretch at ultralow water levels.

3. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    hey dustin, same here! lol:cool:

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I do better this time of year around state line. I've found that the bigger fish utilize the flows and cooler water up high, then migrate down river as the river drops and warms and become a small mouth river. As the season moves on a work my way down river, evetually settling around gun club area.

5. Dustin Bise

Media:
    i dont really think the fish can migrate through the falls/damns very much, so i generally consider the uper and the lower seperate fisheries. I am not sure if that is what your implying though. Can you explain?

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Unless I'm totally mistaken, those fish do migrate from lower to upper river.

7. Dustin Bise

Media:
    I can't help but think you are mistakin the WPP plant at spokane falls seems like a deal breaker to me. I could see a downstream migration and a couple lucky fish surviving, but not upstream. I consider the lower from the Spokane Falls down to long lake, and the upper to me is upriver damn - post falls.

8. FLGator

FLGator Member

Pan,
    Heard they've closed the upper section of the river this year and that it does not open again until the first Saturday of June.

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    My understanding was that the upper river was open year round now, just like the CDA and Joe. Maybe I'm just wrong and spreading really bad information.:D

Actually, the Idaho section is open year round and perhaps the Washington side isn't.

10. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I actually saw fish rising on the upper river the other day. Hard to believe.

11. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    They are pretty much separate fisheries.......but I am not 100% certainly that there is not passage through the downtown corridor.

Troutcatcher.....I will happily pass the info stick to you about the Spokane. I like to keep a little less loud about what I have in my back yard, but I am not opposed to sharing a spot or two here and there while fishing together with people that contact me. I am not to hip on just tossing out hard won secrets to people I cant look in the eye

with that said....it's a great fishery that few take advantage of because it has the "tough to fish" label

12. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    THERE IS NO PASSAGE THROUGH THE DOWNTOWN CORIDOOR... I JUST READ THAT THE LOWER MAN-MADE WATERFALL IS 35 FT TALL...

This being said, the upper and lower parts are 2 seperate fisheries. From Monroe street bridge to Upriver Dam is open all year and is NOT a selective gear fishery. From upriver dam to state line IS selective gear. This is considered, "the upper fishery." from Monroe street bridge DOWNSTREAM to Plese Flats, It is a selective gear fishery, meaning no bait, and single barbless hooks. This is a great section of the river to fish, since most people select the upper fishery. From Plese flats DOWNSTREAM to 9 mile falls dam is NOT a selective gear fishery. This means powerbaiters. They just recently stocked brown fingerlings into the UPPER fishery.

PLEASE READ...

Conserve this river. Pack it in, pack it out. I see so much litter on this river that it just makes me sick. Note that the river flow is high and dangerous right now. DO NOT FLOAT THE RIVER RIGHT NOW!!! Remember to stay safe out there, and once again... Pack it in, pack it out. Thank you :D

13. Dustin Bise

Media:
    oh gimmie a break, we used to kayak the upper at flood stage all the time :p I dont recomend it though unless you are with a group of experienced boaters. Just sayin,, high water makes fun kayaking on the whitewater streches of the upper. I also know some boaters who run the lower at very high water but there is contreversy about that. :thumb:

thats great that they planted the upper. remember to call in the poachers!

14. FLGator

FLGator Member

Troutcatcher6,
    So, when is fishing legal above Upriver Dam to State Line?

Also, please let me know how I can help educate those camped between People's Park and TJ Menoch about "pack it in pack it out" as I've seen more trash and feces (literally) in that section than on any other river I've ever fished.

15. Dustin Bise

Media:
    ive actually met some really cool homeless guys on the spokane. I know of 2 camps that are kept real nice and clean. If you dont like the trash, there is an annual spokane river cleanup (usally in octoboer i think). We have removed entire cars from the river before. I highly recommend you leave the bums alone (they got it hard enough as it is) and just pick up the garbage yourself if you love the river. I also carry out some trash with me when I go.

16. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Troutcatcher 6 - I will take you up on the Spokane River offer next year in the fall. It sounds like a fun body of water to fish. Jon at SB always talks good things about that river.

17. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    Idk if I can rattle... I got a lot of work to do in fall... maybe. The entire river is not year round. Most of it is closed from March 15 to June 1. Look in the Regs book for specifics. This is a good thing that it is open in winter too because winter can produce really well!! :D

18. Jerry White

Jerry White Member

FYI: the Spokane River is closed from the State Line to Upriver Dam between March 15 and the 1st Saturday in June, open year around from Upriver Dam down to Monroe Street, closed between Monroe street and Plese Flats, march 15 until June 1.
    The deal is that these are native fish on redds in March April and May and WDFW is trying to give em a break.

Here is a link to the regs:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2009/09_regs_4.pdf

Not trying to kill your buzz, just want to let you all know your poaching if your on the river at the wrong time in the wrong place... I encourage folks to get out and enjoy the Kan, support it with the numerous conservation efforts that are going on for it and I would ask that you please not post any specific info about angling locations you've enjoyed. Let folks figure it out on their own if they are motivated enough... Its more fun that way :thumb:and we can avoid hammering the crap out of what's becoming a weaker fishery with each passing year.
    Thanks!
    JW
    PS no redband migration from lower to up river (falls) but it looks like there is genetic recruitment from the upper river down to the lower.

19. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    Oh yeah forgot that. I never fish the river from March to June anyway because the runoff is so high. So never mind.

20. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Good on ya Jerry for saying what we are all thinking. I am also not trying to be net jerk....but holly hell Troutcatcher, your original post said you caught one fish last year out of the Spokane. Dude, I will be happy to show you where to catch far more than that if you are a tad bit more discrete about broadcasting info on the Spokane.

Good on ya for being excited about what we have at our back door