Spokane River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutcatcher6, Apr 27, 2009.

1. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Haha... :rofl::clown::rofl:

2. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I agree, Dustin. The potential is pretty limited at this point. Avista is just about done relicensing their dams. It's virtually a done deal. I only participated a little in some of the public meetings. Most of us will be dead when relicensing comes up again.

As long as Grand Coulee Dam is in place we will never see salmon or steelhead. The other "foe" of "ours" is the Lake CDA property owners. The lake is maintained somewhere near 8 feet above its natural level. They really control the flows more than Avista.

The best we can do is to be good stewards of what's left.

3. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

4. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Can I get a little help pronouncing that spokesman's name?

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

what a great frontpage artical! go figure the major media outlet (for print) in spokane writes a artical that shines good light onto the company that has the same owner and makes the paper that they use to print on..... im not tryin to sound like a conspiracry nut, but REALLY who do they think they are fooling?

Richard Roesler - pronoced Dick Row-slur? not sure jeremy.

6. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Krapas? I'm guessing it's pronounced crap-ass

7. FlyMeARiver

FlyMeARiver Da Mailman! Making sure you get yours!

I understand the feeling of frustration here, this is a beautiful river defiled by many, many people. I have caught some very nice looking fish out of this river and to know that they are contaminated with pollutants makes me sick. The amount of shit I see along the banks of this river is absolutely ridiculous. This could easily have been one of the more sought after rivers in the west. As it is............well, it's just sad really, yet I will fish it until those beautiful trout disappear altogether, which I truly hope doesn't happen.:thumb:

Pic of a nice brown, Spokane River behind me!

8. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Same here!! :cool:

9. Conor Giorgi

Conor Giorgi New Member

I was fishing the eddy below Upriver Dam the other night (not exactly like I'm spoiling a spot, it gets hit by a lot of people), pulled one out of there on a Copper John, little guy. There were some nice brown's hitting the water hard. I tried several things, a couple midge patters, but couldn't get any takers on the top. Any ideas?

10. Dustin Bise

isnt the river at like 20,000 cfs??? id say hit the lakes for the next month :p

11. Conor Giorgi

Conor Giorgi New Member

There's a big eddy just downstream of the dam where that little parking area and access trail is. I have consistently seen big fish hitting the surface hard, typically in the evening between 4:30 and 7:30. I realize the river's big right now but the fish in there are active. If one can figure out what they're feeding on it could be, and I hate to use this word, epic...

Obviously I'm not doing something right, anyone have some thoughts?

12. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

caddis, caddis, caddis

13. Conor Giorgi

Conor Giorgi New Member

Thanks Jmills, caddis it was - big hatch tonight. Unfortunately they still didn't like the patterns I was throwing at them. It's safe to say my ego is thoroughly bruised...

14. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

Is the spokane open for fishin right now? I haven't looked it up recently but I thought it wasn't until June 1st.

15. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

only from upriver dam to monro street bridge. The rest of the river is closed until June first!! :thumb:

16. Dustin Bise

june 6th......?

17. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

For fishing??

I can't... i'm going camping at browns creek... maybe i'll have some takers at the lake... or maybe a rare browns creek fish... :cool:

18. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

So if redbands are native to the river, would they be native to Latah Creek and the little spokane?

19. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

The regs for Spokane River from the Monroe St. Dam to Upriver Dam have a line for "salmon, year-round." Are there planted kokanee in that little reservoir?

20. Dustin Bise

It is for landlocked Salmon from lake CDA that wash down i think. Maybe someone can clarify that.

Troutcatcher yes they would have been native to those drainages.

Conor how was the fishing the other day when I saw ya? I tied up some emerger patterns to try out on your advice but I havn't made it back out yet.