Sportfishing Rule Proposals

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steelworker, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Steelworker

Steelworker New Member

Spanaway, Washington, United States of America.
    Hey all,
    I got a copy of the WDFW rule proposals in the mail yesterday.
    Probably of the most interest to this group as a whole is the proposals to extend the standard stream and lake season to November 30th instead of the current October 31rst closure, and the removal of annual limits for hatchery Steelhead.
    There are others affecting the Skykomish-Snoqualmie Rivers, the Skagit River,Crab Creek, and several changes in the saltwater arena (bottomfish).
    Among the most interesting (in my book anyway) are the newly form(ing) regulations on FRESHWATER clams and mussels. I just recently discovered thier existence this summer via a friendly park ranger in Flaming Geyser S.P. who told me they were illegal to harvest but quite abundant.
    I'm pretty sure you can find out more information in the WDFW website.
    Anyway, hope this gets some intellectual wheels turnin'.

Larry

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    When it comes to mussels, be absolutely sure they are coming from as pristine waters as possible. They are filter feeders and, perhaps more with these bivalves than any other, they can concentrate toxins to a very high levels.

When I was working on the NOAA Ship Fairweather in 1989, assisting the government scientists assessing the Valdez sil spill, we were setting out mussels bags as a means of sampling local waters for resident toxins. These little jaspers can really do the work. Unfortunately, for the scientists and their science, the mussel bags kept getting raided by sea otters. Go figure.

So, if you are planning on taking freshwater mussels, at least don't take any from Lake Union or Lake Washington. The urban and suburban pollution would certainly make these shellfish taboo. :pROFESSOR

Better Off With Tight Lines!