Sportsman series

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by NIrodneck, Sep 11, 2013.

1. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

This rod was built for a customer who contacted me about repairing a tip. The rod he brought in was a inexpensive Cabelas starter rod. Where the rod was broken and how, would have required a inner plug and outer sleeve, the repair would cost close to what the rod was worth. He then decided to have me build him a rod along what I refer to as my Sportsman series. Just a no frills, quality fishing tool. With this package they can have a production cork grip or one of my plain carbon fiber grips, YFLY aluminum seat, minima 4 SF guides and tip, PacBay snake style stripper, custom decal, and one color thread wrap. This customer chose the PacBay Quickline in the 5wt. Dave is a retired firefighter so I threw in a single trim color on this rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    How is the quickline blank? Is there something else you would compare it to?

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I have been curious about the quick lines as well?

4. John Weston

John Weston Member

that is a very nice rod you did. wow.
    Outlaw :cool:

5. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

I really like them. Pacbay also gives the CCS numbers for these blanks,which is very helpful. Those numbers are very similar to the discontinued z-axis and the blank weight is only marginally heavier. The gloss black finish, ferrule fit and straightness is top shelf, for a blank 1/3 the cost of other comparable blanks. Generally my go to blank for people.

Mike Ediger likes this.