Sportsman series

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by NIrodneck, Sep 11, 2013.

1. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Member

This rod was built for a customer who contacted me about repairing a tip. The rod he brought in was a inexpensive Cabelas starter rod. Where the rod was broken and how, would have required a inner plug and outer sleeve, the repair would cost close to what the rod was worth. He then decided to have me build him a rod along what I refer to as my Sportsman series. Just a no frills, quality fishing tool. With this package they can have a production cork grip or one of my plain carbon fiber grips, YFLY aluminum seat, minima 4 SF guides and tip, PacBay snake style stripper, custom decal, and one color thread wrap. This customer chose the PacBay Quickline in the 5wt. Dave is a retired firefighter so I threw in a single trim color on this rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

How is the quickline blank? Is there something else you would compare it to?

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

I have been curious about the quick lines as well?

4. John Weston

John Weston Member

that is a very nice rod you did. wow.
    Outlaw :cool:

5. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Member

I really like them. Pacbay also gives the CCS numbers for these blanks,which is very helpful. Those numbers are very similar to the discontinued z-axis and the blank weight is only marginally heavier. The gloss black finish, ferrule fit and straightness is top shelf, for a blank 1/3 the cost of other comparable blanks. Generally my go to blank for people.

Mike Ediger likes this.