Sprague Lake

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Long Rodder, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Long Rodder

Long Rodder New Member

Anybody know how Sprague Lake is fishing these days? I used to fish it a lot while I was in college, and it was a good panfish, bass, and walleye lake. Used to do well there. But I haven't fished it in 20 yrs, and never with a fly rod. When I drive by it, I don't see near as many boats there as I used to.

Any info?

2. jwg

jwg Active Member

Sprague lake was rehabbed and planted with trout about 2007 - 2008. Those trout grow fast and the lake was said to be pretty good, but I have not heard anything specific about this year. I also don't know if the warm water fish have come back.

Jay

3. jwg

jwg Active Member

Here is some more info I found

Sprague Lake timeline
    • Fall 2007: Treated with rotenone to kill all fish species.

• Spring 2008: Stocked with quick-growing rainbow trout to jumpstart fishery, plus bluegill, crappie, largemouth bass and channel catfish broodstock and fry.

• 2009: Ice anglers say trout are so big, they’re difficult to get up through their holes. More trout planted, including Lahontan cutthroats, to maintain sport fishing while warmwater species expand.

• 2010: More trout stocked, as age groups of warmwater species develop and spawn multiple times during summer. Remaining 2007 trout exceed 24 inches long.

• 2011: More trout stocking planned; bass in 1- to 2-pound range will be available.

• 2012: Trout stocking likely to be tapered, bass fishing should be good, panfish starting to show.

• 2013: Trout fishing opportunity will continue, with anticipated decline in catch rates. Bass fishing should be good and panfishing for bluegill and crappie should be excellent.

aplTyler and Long Rodder like this.
  4. Long Rodder

Long Rodder New Member

Wow. Thanks for the info. My BIL wants me to go fishing with him there; sounds interesting. Might take him up on the offer, even though its a bit of a drive.

5. dennis kremer

dennis kremer New Member

Fish it 10 times this year lots of big bows some 7to 8 pounds.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Why was it poisoned out. I remember something about carp, but not positive

7. jwg

jwg Active Member

Spokesman review

"In a massive project, Fish and Wildlife Department workers treated the 1,800-surface-acre lake with rotenone to kill the existing fishery, which was terribly out of balance with carp, stunted panfish and uncooperative walleyes that few anglers could hook"

Jay