Spray on truck bed liner for a do it yourselfer?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I'd like to put some of that very textured truck bed liner stuff onto a platform to stand on. Is it available outside of professional paint shops? I've only seen it there and much lesser products on store shelves. Any direction would be great (don't care if it is roll on, brush on or spray on so long as it is nicely textured and will adhere well when properly prepped and applied). Thank you.
  2. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Bite the bullet. Get the Liine-X.
  3. troutangler Member

S.E. WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Mumbles,
    Check out the bedliner sold at NAPA Autoparts. It's essentially the same as Line-X.
    Maybe they have it in a spray can, in which case, one can would probably be all you need for your pontoon platform.

It isn't cheap, but I used it on my driftboat trailer two seasons ago and it has held up extremely well against rocks, rust, boots with cleats etc.

Note, the surface is very abrasive once it dries (but your feet sure won't slip on it)!

Troutangler
  4. Wet Wade New Member

Nexus of the Trout Universe
    Mumbles, I used an over-the-counter product last summer when I coated the wheel wells on my trailer. I used this stuff -

[IMG]

It applied very well. One can was enough for 4 coats on each wheel well plus the leading edge of the frame. Here's the results -

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here's the best pic I have of what it looked like before -

[IMG]

After running it on my trailer for a summer, I can say this stuff did a fairly good job. After it cured for a while I did notice that it became fairly hard and didn't stand up to rocks as I was hoping it would. Also, the texture you see in the pics is from the metal/chipped paint under the Dupli-Color. The product actually creates a pretty smooth surface unless there's some texture under it.

So I'd say for a casting platform, so long as you're not wearing studs, this stuff is a good, cheap alternative to Line-X or Rhino but I do think Line-X/Rhino will give you a softer, more textured surface.

Hope this helps.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    FDC, TA and WW, thank you all. I'll be stopping by NAPA and ACE today or tomorrow. I like the idea of spraying that onto my salt water boat's trailer wheel covers too, I've not slipped off of them but eventually I will. Thanks again guys.
  6. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Line-X will only get to the ambient temperature and is not slippery when it gets wet. Acoording to the Rhino Rep locally, it will be slippery when wet. I cannot vouch for that fact being correct, but when I took some of my boat deck for spraying, thats what the Rhino shop owner told me.
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Line-X would be better then. I'll try to find a place locally that can supply me with some.
  8. Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I used Herculiner. Comes in colors, I used black to coat the bed and exterior boxes for my wildland fire engine. Worked great, very textured, easy to apply (w/brush and supplied roller) and durable. Make sure you keep stirring it as you apply it.

Jim Wheeler
    Spring Creek Prams
  9. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i think rhino lining is the best but thats done by pros and if you find something you probably want to rough it up like they do in the ships to get it to stick better. textures diamond plating would look awesome:D
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5
    Don't use the duplicolor stuff. Like mentioned, doesn't setup like it should and will flake off. I did a driftboat trailer similar to the one above and would come off in flakes.

The herculiner stuff works great. A friend of mine did his inside of his driftboat with it and has held up well for several seasons.

Onto the line x being slick when wet. I can vouch that I have a line x'd bed in my pickup that is about 10 years old. It's a sticky wet as it's dry.
  11. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    mumbles

for the same money you would spend on the spray on liner. I would reccomend you get a sheet of skid guard plywood from olympic panel in Shelton. This is the same stuff they use on driftboat floors and boat docks.

http://www.olypanel.com/industrials/
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks Shawn K, I'll check it out.
  13. kjt111 Member

redmond, wa
  14. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Mumbles....if I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a casting platform for your toon? For my cat raft frame where I needed decking, I used marine grade plywood. I painted it with a good quality spar enamel with lots of sand mixed in it and attached it to the frame with conduit clips. You can buy the texture sand at the paint store right along with the spar. Just stir the sand into the paint and roll it on. It's held up really well over the years and the sand works well for a non slip surface. A friend of mine did the bedliner thing for his 13' cat boat. He used 3/4" plywood and they are very heavy and add way too much additional weight to the boat in my opinion. Plus it was a much more expensive process. Try to keep the weight down. It all adds up. I think I used 3/8" ply and it's plenty strong enough because it's not spanning that wide. YMMV.
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    More and more great information. I was considering the sand blended into paint idea, I've used sand mixtures before for added traction of painted deck survaces. Not as three dimensional as the truck bed liner stuff but likey more than adequate. Cost a hell of a lot less too. I've even got some spar enamel from a couple little projects on my livingston boat.

The more you guys suggest the more likely my stuff around the house can be put to use. I'll be turning trash into treasures I guess. Thanks.
  16. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    Ed, I bought a can of brush on traction coating at Cabela's the other day. It has ground rubber in it... sounds alright, we shall see. Tomorrow I'm building my wood floor for the aluminum boat and applying the coating. I'll let you know how it turns out, and will be posting pics of the Bras de Fer after I've finished, which should be some time tomorrow.

:beer2:

(today: sanded the wood, stained it, sealed it, sanded loose paint, painted the hull, clear-coated it... tomorrow: build floor, strip and paint transom, install new seats, cupholders, and reinstall the rodholder hardware, fishfinder, etc.) :D
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Cool, Jim. I look forward to your thoughts on results and some photos.