Spring Break Camping/Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    So me and some friends are planning a few day camping trip for spring break in about 10 days and I've realized that I would also like to do some fly fishing on the trip. So what we want is a place with good scenery and camping, a town close by with at least one decent bar, and decent fishing nearby, all within a max of 3hrs from Olympia. We were looking at San Juan's or maybe Cape Disappointment but I don't know much about fishing in those areas. Anyone have any recommendations for places that would fit our criteria?
  2. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    Are you looking for a specific type of fishing? Is the upper Cowlitz open?
  3. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    So does it start in 10 days? Are you talking starting the 22nd or starting on the 29th? The reason I ask is April 1st opens up a bunch of lakes over on the east side of the state. If you are camping earlier than that I would still likely head east. You could do the Yakima canyon and then Ellensburg is close by or you could camp at Rocky Ford and fish the Ford or Lenore and party in Ephrata.
  4. tyeoneon Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    When my son was younger, we would camp at the Oasis in Ephrata. They have a par 3 golf course that you can play all day for $10. Rocky Ford is about 20 minutes away, and so is Lenore. Good pizza place and close to the Quincy Lakes area as well. Dry Falls Lake is close, and it opens on April 1st. There is camping there as well! Good luck!
    Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  5. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    It would be between the 25th and 29th so just before April :( I was considering somewhere along the Yakima. Was also thinking about the Salmon La Sac or Teanaway areas north of Cle Elum. Any thoughts on that?
  6. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Bring a rain jacket and head to the OP.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

Teanaway and those other moving waters are closed until the first Saturday in June.
  8. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Bummer :( I always forget that most streams in Washington are seasonal. Coming from Colorado where most streams are open year round it's sometimes a tough adjustment.
  9. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Hard to beat Bend for what you want. It hits all of your wants out of the park, except the distance. Fishing-wise, it has a lot of really solid spring bets, like the Crooked.
  10. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    I wish I could go to Bend this time but it's just too far for this trip. Plus I'd like to save Bend for the warmer months.
  11. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,555 / 0
    Spring break is all about taking it too far...plus the San Juans from Olympia are > 3 hours.
  12. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA

It's not actually about the time it takes to get there for us it's more to do with mileage. Bend is double the distance in mi and we are all broke students.
  13. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    I'm in the same boat... My girls have spring break and are heading to the coast, so I'm off the hook from the 31st to the 4th! I'm going to load up my truck and get my fish on! Lower basin lakes here I come, camping and fishing:)
  14. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    Fish the Yakima. Then score some Central tail.
    Or...
    Score some Central tail. Then fish the Yakima.
    Your choice.
  15. John O'Leary Member

Tri-Cities, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    The Seep Lakes would give you a good chance for sun and warmish camping weather. Can confirm there are fish in the area. The Sandhill Crane Festival will be going on that last weekend of March, if anyone in your party is into that. I don't know anything about Othello's nightlife though.
  16. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    This may not be too popular but Mineral lake down by elbe is going to be open on the 1st I believe. If you make it down there for the opener its a crazy red neck party but I would get their early to get a camp site. Great bar with some of the best pizza I have ever had. be advised a mineral "10" is an "anywhere else in the country 5". but it is a great time.
  17. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Decided I'm just going to ditch my friends and fish Rocky Ford for several days and hangout with my grandparents in Soap Lake.
    Bob Rankin and Irafly like this.
  18. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    When are you going to be there?
  19. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Probably the 2nd-4th
  20. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    I might be out that way around the same time. Grey Toyota Tundra.