spring chinook flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by D3Smartie, Jan 23, 2005.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    hey guys i have tried to search the web for flies that are specific to spring chinook but have not had any luck. Do you guys have any favorites for them? a picture would be awsome.
    Thanks
    David

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I keep it very simple. I use lighter colored marabou flies. That's about it. A little flash put in it and call it quits. Use alot with "shrimp" tones to them. Some that are light pink with cerise, peach with fl. orange, stuff similar to that. Always had good luck just using those on the Duc and even fishing the Cowlitz for them (plus a couple other rivers as well).

3. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Most of the springer fly fishing I do is in kinda clear water, so I generally fish kinda small, #4 for fresh fish seems fine. A good mesure of flash, some dark, some bright, a little more chatreuse, or blue than I use other times though I am not sure this makes a difference. I have never found any particular springer pattern that that blows all others away, I sure wouldn't mind however (Black stonefly with a little red, this one keeps coming up). The most important thing seems to be presentation.

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Jim, would you mind suggesting a recipe?

I have been tying up some stuff but it looks more like winter steelhead chartuse stuff or alaska flies. I think i am still going too bulky. :beathead:

What hooks do you guys use? I am not sure what hooks i am going to be able to get down here as the selection is not conducive to salmon or fly fishing but i might be able to dredge up something.

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    here is one of my new creations....
    only size 4 hooks i had. I'll bet it would catch cutties but what about springers?

Attached Files:

6. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    D, once again I think presentation is 90% of this game, if you can get straight upsteam of them and hang a bug in the current for 4 or five min you can usaly find some takers. Next bet is a striped fly, then nymph, I find a clasic swing the least effective. I ripped off Gordie Gracies Sockeye fly, which I think is on his website, its great in the early season cause the summer runs smash it too. A typical steelhead bunny with extra flash will get you started. Sorry I can't be of more help, like I say, I still havn't found one pattern that outfishes all others.

7. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    what about this one. I screwwed up on the head but this should work for something.... what box would this go in?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views: