Spring Creek Special

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by worldanglr, Oct 27, 2004.

1. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The Spring Creek Special

Hook: 5263BL Size 8 2XL

Bead: Black Tungsten 5/32

Tail: Rabbit Strip the Length of the hook shank

Body: Rabbit dubbing brush, change density of brush for more or less buoyancy

Notes: That's it? Sounds like a basic leech pattern to me... Well it is, but there's a little bit more too it... The key is the tungsten bead on the head, the lightwire shank, rabbit fur dubbing brush body (wire brush) without the buoyant leather in it, and a leather tail. The result is a fly with the action of a jig, only a little bit better. In order to get the full range of motion out of this fly, it's NECESSARY to use a loop knot of some sort, I prefer Lefty's Loop Knot, also called the Non-Slip Mono Loop. I tie these in olive and black for trout mostly. The thick body and sparse tail roughly resembles that of sculpin. Use a shooting head or sink tip and swing this pattern through tailouts and in front of snags.

In lakes black, olive, white, and burgundy, and excellent colors, fished on a slow, erratic retrieve look suspiciously leech like. For steelhead, I tie them in black, red, pink, purple, and fuschia. I often use two-tone spring creek specials for steelhead, such as black and red. For winter steelhead, use a heavy shooting head and swing the spring creek special through the deepest part of the run, underneath the fast water. For summer, either a lighter sink tip or a dry line with an indicator.

Dead-drift the spring creek directly under the indicator (4 or 5 feet depending on depth or run). In spring creeks, use a 4 foot leader tied with a loop knot. The jig-like action of this pattern makes it excellent for jigging in front of undercuts. The name comes from this technique, as this is what I originally developed it for.

I use a dubbing brush maker called the Twister. It is possible to tie this pattern with a hand dubbing loop or a dubbing loop tool, however I find it easier to pre-make my dubbing brushes with wire. To control how fast the fly sinks, you can make the body sparser or denser. On my average size Spring Creek special, I'll make three flies out of a brush.

I use the 5263BL because of it's light-wire shank. I've experimented with heavy wire hooks for steelhead and big sea-run browns. I've found that if you're swinging the SCS, you can get away with a heavy wire hook, because the jigging action is not as important.

I've found the best all-around size to have is a size 8. This is a good streamer size for rivers, lakes, summer steelhead, and sea-run browns. I do, however, carry them in size 10's for super picky fish, and 6's for fish looking for a bigger meal.

2. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Spring Creek Twister

Very interesting ; Do you have a picture f this fly and also the "twister" tool that you are referring to?
    I learned how to make wire dubbing brushes last summer from Herman Fischer in Kamloops useing a "Roots Dubbing machine" and seal fur.
    The flies that we produced were virtually indestructable being as the light wire seemed to hold the fibers much better than the thread did.
    Randy

3. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    thanx dude. Kinda strange, ive been wanting to see this fly for a while. Then it shows up and i realize i have used this fly for a while now, but with lead eyes. Anyways, i love useing the dubbing brush for the body, takes away alot of bulk and is fast to tie. Another sweet thing about the fly is that it is durable, and when u lose them on rocks, u can fill ur box back up in like an hour.

Peace,
    Andy

4. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Ryan that is a sweet fly. The time I saw you tie it I think it took you 30 seconds or less to whip one out. Great pattern!!!

5. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Jab. Don't have a photo yet, but I'll give one to Rowdy when he gets back to photograph...

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    It seems like your streamer could also benefit from a stinger hook since it is much like my bunny strip skuplin. Mine has a muddler head of olive deer hair.

I'm currently using a 206BL as a stinger, and it's a devious little hook. It's thin wire and penetrates well since there's no barb, and it's black and inconspicuous. On average, I hook myself twice while tying each fly.

I'm trying a no body version now. The short front hook only carries the weight, the muddler head, and tie off points for the stinger and the bunny strip

7. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    the ones in the bulltrout pics that i see ryan fishing seem to have a stinger hook on them.

Peace,
    Andy

8. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Those bull trout patterns are different flies altogether. The Spring Creek Special is a small fly with a short tail, so there isn't really any need for a stinger.