Spring has sprung, fall has fell ... and winters here and ...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Nov 13, 2009.

1. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    it's colder than hell. Well, not quite even if it did drop to the mid-20's here in Southern Ashland last night/early this AM. 1454 now, at 37degrees and it's SNOWING like hell out side. At my level of 2,005 feet nothing will stick, but if you're headed into Kalifornia 14 miles down I-5 from me .. got to be an interesting drive.
    :eek::rofl:
  2. Zack Dudley Take em'

Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    yeah that'd be interesting.... i've got a few friends that go to eastern washington university and they're tellin me its snowin like CRAZY
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I woke to about 5" of snow yesterday in Dillon. And this morning it was 7 degrees out. I sit at about 5000' and when it snows here it stay around for a while. It sure makes the mountains look nice. And the rivers and all the other skinny water starts to ice over.
    And when it's this cold out I tend to stay inside.

I was thinking of going out a couple of days ago but I didn't get my rod back until this morning. I was going to nymph the Beaverhead.

Jim
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Chilly outing between the Cascades and Sound today. When the pouring rain stopped and the cloud cover lifted we saw that we were within 300 to 500' of the fresh snow. Brr, but beautiful.
  5. Hem Member

Three Forks, Mt.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Currently 3 degrees, I'm thinkin' we'll get "comfortably" below zero by dawn.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Just have to love Montana in November. Hem, did you get alot of snow in Three Forks.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I had to bring this back to the top. It was 1 degrees here this morning.
  8. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Yikes! A balmy 28 here in the south end of Ashland. What makes it feel colder is we're running at 95% humidity.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Took a trip to the Skyomish yesterday with my black lab. Sky is running about three feet lower than last week and quite clear. Only saw one fellow slinging a line and it looked like it was a two hander. Another poor soul was anchored in a drift boat with a bait rig and the fisherman looked like he was telling himself how much fun he was having sitting there.
    It was cool but no way close to frost or ice.

I kept telling myself that if I put on the neophrene waders that I would be warm, but at
    my age that would have been a lie. Besides I have a lame paw and an not handle the rod. Looks like spring fishing for me.
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    You going to let a little thing like age slow you down. I'm getting older everyday and up until last year I was going great guns. But the cold weather is slowing me down.

Jim
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Well I know the slowdowns alright. I have a bum left hand right now and I can't work a line or reel very well. Hope to get it fixed next week but I may be out for a while. I think I am just about done for the winter but come spring........
    I fish the lakes mostly but my fishing partner, who is older than I am, has the slows too. Maybe I can get him to go to Rattlesnake with me next spring. He likes that lake, but that is because he always out fishes me on it.

Lordy, how I would love to wade a river again and fish for some decent size fish.

Thinking of a trip to Eastern Wash for a week of fishing next year.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I had my waders on once last winter. I now fish from shore or should I say the river bank. Here in Montana you don't have to move to find fish. Just throw your flies out and if they are close to what the fish are eating you will catch fish. It's a lot of nymphing here. And I'm getting better at it.

I fish the Upper Ruby river when I first moved here about four years ago and I could wade/walk all over the place but now I find myself staying close to my truck. And it sucks.
  13. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    As perscribed to Gloria Swanson (yes, you have to be old to know how she is/was ..

"Growing old is not for Sissies."

".... and I could wade/walk all over the place but now I find myself staying close to my truck. And it sucks."

I think you'll all will take my point as the Brit's would say.:ray1:

fae