Springers on a fly??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Feb 17, 2011.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    So I was wondering if anyone has ever done any good fishing springers on a fly??? I was thinking of hitting the mouth of lewis,kalama and try to get the fly out there for a chance of a springer hittin it. Anyone ever do this??
  2. rick matney Active Member

Bozeman, Montana
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Try it at night.
  3. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Absolutely, that's the very reason I bought the Meiser 8/9
  4. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Josh, if you get into them let me know. I've had success swinging for fall silvers with the incidental king on the Kalama, but other than that my only other success story, perhaps a fluke really, was hooking a silver on the Sol Duc Skating a muddler...I guess it really wasn't a fluke that's what I was there for.

Rick, if tried at night, would you use flourecent or glow in the dark materials in your fly?
  5. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    um...I think salmon fishing on most rivers at night is illegal. Might be helpful to check the regs before heading out.

Springers on a fly in WA... well, you won't catch bunches of them but the ones you do hook will change your DNA.
  6. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +288 / 0
    moohoowahaaaaa! Springers on the fly make steelhead look just a TAD wimpy. I had a 17lb buck almost spool me this past june. Cant wait to do it again.
  7. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Well to me, Salmon are not a game changer, though fun, they can't hold a candle to the magesty of Steelhead! Salmon are good, to fill the gaps between steelhead and are tasty too.
  8. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Nah. Most rivers are open at night. But yes, check the regs as the night closures are often enacted in certain sections of rivers and often only at certain times of year. In addition, night closures are enacted regularly as emergency regs so check the DFW site for emergency closures. The Kalama, for instance, is open for night fishing until April when everything below the lower hatchery intake goes into night closure. The Lewis is a bit more complicated, and in addition to that finding an open spot at night that isn't full of plunkers is harder than it is during the day :)

For me, big and black works best at night, and strip, strip, strip :)
  9. bendow New Member

Richland, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Check K2flyfisher's gallery...
  10. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    With the Kalama springer run forecast at something like 700 fish, I wouldn't bother unless I lived on the river and had nothing better to do. The N. Lewis and Cowlitz runs are forecast to be pretty small as well.

Sg
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,748 / 0
    Sure, if you want something that pulls hard. If you want something that is totally unpredictable and pulls hard, steelhead are the way to go.

I had a 40 pound king blow up an eight weight fly rod into 3 pieces and I still landed the fish. Not sure I could have landed a large steelhead with a busted up rod.
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +288 / 0
    I had a big king break an 8 wt on the sol duc. I didnt land it. I agree steelhead are much more unpredictable. kings just pull extremely hard
  13. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    Don't get me wrong - I love steelhead, but I can't agree that they are so much better on average than kings as some of you are suggesting. Guess it may depend where you fish for them - I've never done it in the lower 48 and have no idea what one might expect from a springer on the Kalama. The ones I've seen caught incidentally on places like the Methow are indeed pound for pound less of a battle on average compared to steelhead. But a fresh from the salt king in Alaska has the serious potential to kick your ass in a way that your typical steelhead could not.
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    The fish that shattered my 8 was about 100 yards from the salt moving into the river on an incoming tide. Is that fresh enough?
  15. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    I love Springers, way more than steelhead. I don't know why...it tends to be spiritual I believe. The Chinook just seem to bring me closer to Njord. That and for us non-Skagit river guys, catching steelhead is cake :)
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
  17. rick matney Active Member

Bozeman, Montana
    Big and Black, I also like chartruse and black. Something that pushes a lot of water and sends a lot of vibrations
  18. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 1
    Rivers may be open, but I too seem to recall there being restrictions on fishing for salmon at night... check the regs :ray1:

Flyborg - love the new avitar... the other one was scary!
  19. k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

Portland, OR
    tell us something we dont already know about you Rick =)
  20. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    ha .... good one! : )