Springers on a fly??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I totally agree with this. There is no place they can't go, and many times they go everywhere! I only fish for them in the salt, and it's one of my favorite fisheries!

2. even a few days up river they rule!!!! twitch...twitch..KA-BOOM! I can't wait for june

3. I like Kwickfish, spinners, and comets.

Mainly Kwickfish because I mean really....

4. I love steelhead. In fact after catching one on a fly I have pretty much fished for nothing else. This last Sept. on the Deschutes the river was up and cloudy and I had caught a jack during the morning swing session for steelhead. So I decided to huck the fastest sink tip I could manage and hooked a king. Changed my life. Love them both.

5. ...wrapped with bacon.

6. I have caught them fresh from the salt in estuaries of bristol bay, and they will hand you your ass. Here is one that turned into sashimi.
    View attachment 39405

7. I have allready felt the pull of a big springer from the Columbia near Woodland. Used my gear rod, koon shrimp with a gob of goo on it. It would have been a kick in the butt if I were using my fly rod!

8. I have only hooked one and that was while shad fishing on the Columbia with a small chartreuse dart. Last year I had three friends catch four springers on the fly and the earliest was in January. Springers are amazing creatures.

[​IMG]

9. everythings better with bacon!

10. there is nothing like that pull.......I know that spot!

11. This is the picture that keeps me motivated to find one on a fly.

12. Adrenaline... That video captures it pretty well...
    a person just has to bow down to the power of a spring chinook.

13. So true matty. Bet youre the only one on this board besides me to ever be to that spot.