Spruce moth patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Richard Olmstead, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    Side note: I was camped next to Richard and friends when he was up there. I pulled a small trailer up the road and ended up blowing out the bearings and spindle. To be fair, I think I neglected to grease the bearings, but that road (which closely resembled the moonscape photos you see on NASA websites) didn't help the situation. It was a pain removing the axle and then driving it into Missoula for repairs which ended up being a replacement axle, spindles, bearings, etc.

I too was surprised by the absence of spruce moths. A few years ago it was a huge hatch. This year, no big deal.

I caught fish on a variety of patterns, but the most successful one was just a #16 Deer Hair Caddis pattern. But, I didn't fish 'til dark like my neighbors. I opted for lingering in the evening air with a nice micro brewed beer.

Trapper

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  2. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Trapper, it was a pleasure meeting you and Jim up there. I hope we run into each other again sometime.

You were exactly a week too early with respect to your trailer problems, although as you pointed out, they were probably not the fault of the road. When we arrived, the same day you did, the road was in the worst shape I'd ever seen it. When we were leaving, a day or two after you, we were held up by the road grader working the section between the Dalles and Harrys Flat.

As for the evenings, I caught my best fish each day in the last 30 minutes of light each evening, and still had time for a microbrew around the campfire!

Dick

3. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

Thanks for all the info, looking forward to the trip, just wish i had more time. Plans changed and now i only get about a day and half of fishing...so more driving then fishing it appears, but a much needed break from the office.

4. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    Dick -

It was good meeting you and your friends. I think Jim wanted to take your dog home with him.

We saw the grader as we drove out also, but he was just getting going. I always wondered how long that road stayed smooth after it was graded. I guess it depends on how much rain and traffic it gets. It's been dry and hot since then here at my place.

Trapper

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  5. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Member

Had a great stay at Harry's Flat. Didn't get a water front campsite but that was fine as we found the water up above to be a little better, but we also drove down to the area by Dalles that had the large rocks and nice pools. Overall caught tons of fish and had a great time but I didn't land 1 Brown Trout and I snapped my Sage ONE rod...thank you Warranty.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by MooSE855, on Flickr

Nice Sized and Colored Rainbow I pulled on a Yellow Stimmy with Legs

[​IMG]
    Brooke on a Hopper by MooSE855, on Flickr

Brooke on a Hopper

[​IMG]

Cutt I got an Yellow Humpy

[​IMG]

Made Friends with a Mule

[​IMG]

Some of our other friends we made on the trip..Big Horns

[​IMG]

Beautiful Rock Creek River

[​IMG]

Another nice Cutt I found

[​IMG]

Same Brooke from earlier

[​IMG]

And a quick way to put a wrinkle in a great trip...luckily I have a spare and a warranty...

6. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    There are bull trout on The Creek and some of the smaller ones will take a dry fly. There are brookies, but they are not the dominate species. So when someone says they caught a brookie on The Creek, most assume it was an immature bull.

The two key characteristics I look for are black marks on the dorsal and wavy worm marks on the top of the back means it's a brookie. Bull trout have a slightly forked tail.

In the photo you can't see the dorsal or the tail, but the wavy worm marks are apparent.

Trapper