"Spruce" Type flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Jack Devlin, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    DSC02271 copy.jpeg
    I have always been a fan of the original "Spruce Fly" for cutthroat. This past summer, I fished with a friend who likes to use "Spruce" type patterns and this inspired me to tie up some of my own.
    Rather than post them individually as I did with the "Holo-Spruce", I figured I would just post them together in this one thread.
    In October, the last pattern, the "Autumn Surprise", took a nice cutthroat on the first time fished first cast, hence the name "Autumn Surprise".
    Jack
    View attachment 34949 View attachment 34950 View attachment 34951 View attachment 34952 View attachment 34954 View attachment 34955 View attachment 34953 34956[/ATTACH] View attachment 34957
  2. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +764 / 0
    wheres the salty salish spruce?
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Beauties! That's a really handsome cutthroat, too.
  4. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +95 / 0
    Bruiser of a fish!!!

Like the Spruce variations too...will be tying up a couple of those myself. :)
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Gotta love those those Spruce's Jack !!!! Very cool ties, and awesome cutt....
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Those flies have summer steelhead written all over them.
  7. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Very nice Jack, thanks for sharing esp pic of a beautiful cut.
  8. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    The Spruce tied with a red body was the very first fly I fished for SRC. Now when I tie them I try to really "splay" the wings out to get the most pulsating action as possible when stripping it in. I've never tied them in any other color variations. Those are some nice ties and I would definitely feed those to some summer steelhead.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,557 / 0
    A Purple Joe is tied in the Spruce style and one of my favorites for Oregon SRC. I also tie the wings in as a "V" so they give the pattern a bit more movement when stopping during a retrieve.
  10. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap

Try it with a reverse hackle, ala Sakasa Kebari
  11. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Beautiful. Every one of them.

TC
  12. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    I had to google Sakasa Kebari. I've heard of a Spider Spruce but I would not have thought of the Reversed Spider Spruce. I like it! The Reveresed Spider is my go-to SRC pattern but I've always thought of the Spruce as being more traditional. Now I can have the best of both worlds!
  13. Jack Devlin Active Member

Hey you Hillbilly Redneck! :):) I have always wanted to call somebody that.:)
    Here is a photo (from a book) of the original Spruce pattern that I have in mind when I tie the ones I posted.
    Jack
    DSC02343.jpeg
    Tacoma Red likes this.
  14. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    Yes. That's the one. I noticed that I tend to tie them with the wing a little too long and it get fouled on the hook sometimes. Yours look perfect.

Attached Files:

Jack Devlin likes this.
  15. Jack Devlin Active Member

Most of the Spruce flies I have seen tend to have the long wing and most often it is tied high. I think it was intended to be tied like that by the originator. It often appears that way in most of the older fly tying books. I kind of do them both ways. Yes, they can foul which usually happens in casting especially when a lot of false casts are made. Happens with a lot of streamers.
    By the way, thanks for mentioning the Spider Spruce. An old Steelhead pattern. I haven't tied one of them in a long time. Here is one. I see the floss is starting to unravel.
    Jack
  16. Jack Devlin Active Member

I like your Spruce. It is a very nice tie. I think that is the way a true Spruce should be tied - very artistic and flamboyant. The splayed wings add so much.
    In the patterns I have shown here, I tried to "tone" down the pattern a bit and get closer to imitating small baitfish and sculpins. Well, almost.
    Best.
    Jack
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    What?!! Where's the "Spruce Goose" Jack?!! Very nice!
  18. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    The long wing creates an irresistable pulsating effect when stripping across current flows. A reverse spider spruce is even more SRC compulsive.
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I like the looks of that Spider Spruce. I'll have to attempt tying some Reversed Spider Spruces. Maybe some Reversed "Purple Joes" since a purple Reversed Spider is reputed to be an effective version for SW WA coastal streams and tidal creeks. I don't know why I haven't ever tied any in purple yet, except that I already have too many flies on my "gotta tie some up" list. A Reversed Purple Joe would eliminate two from the list, with only one tie.
    The last Spruce in my box has been ravaged and only has one wing left, so its time take it out back and shoot it, and then try for some reincarnation.
  20. davpot davpot

Cornelius, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0