Squalicum lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Cole L, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Cole L Fish Fiend

Bellingham
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    My confusion is how to get to it. I understand that there is an entrance near 542 and Y road. Do you park your car by the highway or is there a driveway up to it? I tried to figure it out in the spring and had some trouble. Thinking about fishing it friday.
  2. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Cole,
    Yes park in the gravel spur right at the bend of the Mt Baker Hiway. When you go up the left driveway then veer right and go around the gate. Then hike in for about 1/3 mile. Good luck and you should have a good time this time of year.
  3. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    October was by far my favorite time to fish it in the past. I did extremely well with a black Doc Spratley stripped quick close to shore but I imagine anything black would work similarly well. I'll pull up Google Earth and see if I can't get a screen shot of exactly where to park and walk. I think the guys from the Bellingham Fly Club up there have a key to the gate and I believe I'm still do an opportunity to bring my Pram in and fish it sometime.

Good luck.
  4. 29guy Member

Brigadoon, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Like Cole I too am interested in a trip to Squalicum but am puzzled by a County website that says there is a grass boat launch but also says a walk in of 1/2 mile is required.
    Can you drive down to launch a pontoon then drive back out or is the website totally wrong?
  5. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +264 / 0
    No you can't. You'll pass through a closed gate and walk a short series of private driveways, then it turns into sort of a loose trail down to the water. But just to confuse you more, yes, there is a "mini" boat launch. A fair number of boats are left there for the owners to walk in and use. You just need to find the little pull-out on the highway and follow the signs back. It's not that hard and will all make sense once you go and do it. The lake isn't that big so you're best off just taking a float tube in. I can easily carry mine in on my shoulder without having to deflate, the walk is only a few minutes at most.

I went Columbus Day last year and had a blast hitting cutts right near the surface (if memory serves me they were cutts:eek:) . Weather was very similar to now.