Square-Stern canoes: Does anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by WT, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Has anyone around here have and/or use a square stern canoe or know of any for sale?
    have good fishing,
    WT

2. Man WT, you missed out on one. I had access to one. Customer had one for sale for a long time. I had it posted on here. He even had a motor for it and trailer to tow whole package. He just sold it literally a month of so ago.

I'll keep my eye out

3. I had a square stern canoe when I lived in CA and loved it. Of course I rigged it with oars:thumb: That was a fast little rower. It was really good for choppy water. I see them come up on Craigslist now and then. My wife says no more canoes for me after we (I) wrapped one in low water on the Russian River many years ago. There are better boats out there than a canoe I have come to realize.
    Tom C.

4. Yes I have one and I have used the hell out of it for the last 5 years. I've had some incredible go-outs in my local waters in this craft. A square stern is the way to go if you want a canoe that you can power with an electic or small gas outboard.

Mine is a 13' Sportspal, made from thin gage aircraft aluminum. It is great for small lakes and slower rivers. But I don't think I'd buy another one.

It is not a boat to run rivers with. The relatively soft aircraft aluminum gets gouged and hammered by the rocks. This hull is also very "grippy" on rocks. Doesn't want to slide over the shallow summertime riffles, but will grind to a halt. I put Gluvit on the hull to alleviate this....a real pain in the ass....not recommended for this craft, as it just creates more problems.
    This squanoe is really great on small lakes, though...stable, light, and easy to handle and fish from. But so are a lot of other small boat designs.

I don't think I would buy this boat again. If i wanted a small aluminum boat that I could haul on top of my car or in the back of a truck, I would probably just get a used 12' lightweight aluminum skiff or rowboat. Something that could take a beating mo bettah.

However, You might want to get one made out of polyethylene or royalex, as these hull materials are tough and require no maintenance. They are heavier than aluminum, but I have concluded that aluminum sucks as a canoe hull material due to its grippiness, noisiness, and cold nature. Mine is lined with 1/2" foam sheeting, though, which provides insulation from cold & noise, and provides floatation.

I saw an Old Towne sq stern at Nahwatzel Lake a couple of weeks ago. It was made out of either royalex or polyethylene. Well built, stable, and the owner loved it. Much heavier than mine, though. It was bigger, a 15' or 17' er, but looked like it was roomier for two fishers.
    The owner just dragged it right up on the concrete boat ramp. I don't do that with mine...scratches the Gluvit and does the fingernail-on-blackboard thing.

Hope these ramblings help.

5. I have a 17ft mad river. Its not a square stern, but i did rig a trolling motor on the back side. Works great but, it can be a pain to drag around. But its awesome on lakes and a calm day on the salt. We got a trailer for it and stow it away in back yard. Royalex is awesome, i just need a heat gun to get the outside dents popped out.

6. I have two wood and fiberglass square stern canoes for sale. These are very popular for mountain lake fishing.

I can send pictures to potential buyers and my sales ad can be viewed on montana craigslist type in wood freighter canoe square stern or duck boat. Thanks.