Squid Pattern #2 - Still Experimenting

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Greg, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Greg

Greg Member

OK, here's another squid attempt, this one somewhat different conformation. This is getting close to what I envisioned. Note that I gave up the photography in lieu of scanning this one; dark blue may not be the best background color. Any suggestions, hints or tips to make a better image? Don't forget I'm technologically challenged. Constructive criticism sought and welcomed.

HOOK: Tiemco 911S #4. This is a pretty heavy hook that eliminates the need for lead wraps or weighted dumbell eyes.

TENTACLES: Everything tied in at the rear of the hook - About 8 strands of white Yak hair (vary the the lengths) tied at the bend followed by about 4 or 5 strands of pearl Krystal Flash followed by one turn of of a long white marabou followed by two turns of Wigeon flank feathers. (Why Wigeon? Duck hunting friend gave me a bag of it last year and besides, the color hue is brownish. I suppose any duck flank feather would work as well.) Length of the Yak Hair and Krystal Flash should be equal to the lenth of the hook shank plus the width of the gap.

UNDER BODY: Mixed pink, blue and green angel hair. Tie it in just behind the tentacles and the wind it from the rear of the hook forward to the eye and then tied in. This adds some very nice hues in the finished product. Keep the wraps bulkier at the the rear of the hook so that when the Over Body is slid on, it widens slightly.

OVER BODY: Spirit River silver E-Z body. Slip one end of it just over the eye of the hook and tie it down securely. Cut the thread and cover the wraps with head cement. After that dries, gently push the remainder of the E-Z body toward the rear of the hook where the tentacles are tied in. Don't tie it down, but give some judicious trimming to even the ends.

EYES: Spirit River Prism Eyes glued in at the rear-most section of the E-Z body.

FINISH: Softex over the rear-most section of the fly where the eyes are. I guess one could Softex or epoxy the entire body to make it truly durable.

Greg

Attached Files:

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Still sweet Greg.

I have a couple questions. What's the target, coho or chinook? I'm having trouble picturing the overall scale, but since the "tentacles" are primarily "hackled" marabou and duck, I'm assuming it's relatively small. Do you have any particular presentation in mind? I don't know a damned thing about squid behaviour. Do they swim, or are they jet-propelled? Would weight provide any useful jigging action?

One last: A lot of the soft-plastic squid lures I see are flourescent. How about a flourescent overbody? (OK I lied, one more: have you tried coating the whole body? It might make those under-hues really pop.)

3. Greg

Greg Member

Still sweet Greg.
    I have a couple questions. What's the target, coho or chinook? I'm having trouble picturing the overall scale, but since the "tentacles" are primarily "hackled" marabou and duck, I'm assuming it's relatively small. Do you have any particular presentation in mind? I don't know a damned thing about squid behaviour. Do they swim, or are they jet-propelled? Would weight provide any useful jigging action?

One last: A lot of the soft-plastic squid lures I see are flourescent. How about a flourescent overbody? (OK I lied, one more: have you tried coating the whole body? It might make those under-hues really pop.)
    [/quote]

Thanks for the compliment. Squid is on the Salmon menu during their ocean venture and its my understanding there's also good populations of loligo opalecens aka opalecent squid in the Sound. Some folks jig for squid from several piers around the Sound adding to the evidence of their "near shore" availability in the Sound and trolled "hootchies" can only resemble one thing: a squid in flight. Target species is chinook; I'm hoping this will be a good producing fly for the resident Blackmouth as well as their returning bretheren.

During periods of low light (e.g. dark, overcast days, at daybreak etc.)they (squid) can actually be found in very shallow water (10 feet or less.) The average size of a one year old adult of this species in the Sound is about 8-inches. Good point on scale; I was derelict in providing one. The fly above is 3.5-inches end to end. I tied another on a 2/0 hook and it is 6-inches end to end. I'll include a ruler in all future scans.

Squid are bi-directional swimmers. Normally, they swim head-first (tentacle first) when simply moving about calmly or when attacking prey (e.g. small baitfish.) They can actually double the length of their tentacles in a micro-second for the attack. When frightend or under attack themselves, they demonstrate long, very fast runs going mantle first, or maybe better stated, tentacles last; as you said, jet-propelled. A unique characteristic is their ability to rapidly change colors (probably due to excitability from threat.) That's why I opted for the mixed color Angel Hair underbody. As you, most plastic squid that I've seen are "60's-colored" in fluorescent yellow, green or pink, however ALL "live" specimens that I've seen are not - floresence is much more subtle. I did coat the entire overbody with Softex of several others ties after posting the pic above and, you're right, the colors "pop." Future ties of this pattern will include the entire body coated.

Presentation I have in mind is simple: get the fly down quickly near kelp beds and drop-offs and give it long, quick strips. I haven't field tested this yet, so there's no results to report. Not sure how useful this pattern would be to the wading angler, but its always worth a try.

By the way, I've got a great Calamari recipe (people food) if you're interested. :SMILE

Greg

4. rockfish

rockfish Member

Hey greg I'm still interested if you want to. squid are one of the main forage in the winter time, hence the squid scent as being best on jigs for blackmouth and other bottom dwellers. in december and january some of the better fishing holes are so packed with squid you cant keep them off your jigs. way bigger ones than you catch at piers for some reason. Ben

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I do not know if it will help but I grew up on the sound trolling squid imitations on a down rigger as a boy and we found the the most productive color pattern was white and very bright light green color. I have been following the squid fly with intrest since I plan to to fish this fall using my boat and fly rod for Salmon both silvers and blackmouth. Please keep us posted on if you have any luck with this fly. One note you might try some red highlights on the bottom outside edge of the flies eyes. Many of the plastic squid patterns we used to use had this. Also let us know if you get any life like movement out of the tentacles.

6. Greg

Greg Member

Hikepat,

Thanks for the comments; I appreciate the input.
    I was using the eyes I had on hand, but, per your suggestion, I will pick up some red sclera/black pupil eyes on my next trip down to Morning Hatch (tomorrow) and include a few of those ties in the box...that could be the difference between effective and non-effective. The Silver EZ-Body I've been using seems to provide an overall white coloring to the body; the mixed colors of angel hair give a nice "fluorescent" hue bemeath the white exterior.

I think this fly has potential. The transluscence of the Yak Hair mixed with the white Marabou works well in the bathtub...hey, everybody has a testing ground, don't they? Should provide some good natural movement in currents and on the retrieve. Rest assured, I will post results, both postive as well as negative. My wife is on my butt to take her fishing on Thursday (have I mentioned I love my wife???), so you should see some feedback by Friday - I'll be in the South Sound. Will take your suggestions to heart; thanks for the input and happy to see others are checking out this section of the board. Was beginning to think Ray, Rockfish and I were the only ones visiting it.

Greg

7. Greg

Greg Member

15-25mph winds and small craft warnings kept me off the water today. Looking for an opening on the weekend.

Greg

8. rockfish

rockfish Member

hey greg theres millions of what look like to be baby squid in yukon harbor at night. if not I've never seen this forage before but fish and birds have a feast on them under the lights. cant go far during the day just to deeper water. lots of baby smelt also in 5 feet of water or less and washed up against bulk heads on high tide. but that was a few days ago. Ben

9. Greg

Greg Member

Ben,

Tie a few and give 'em a go. Ya' just never know.

Greg

10. akrcracer

akrcracer New Member

Hi! Greg,
    Just like your herring pattern, have you trolled this one?? There's a pattern here at this site called bomber squid. I'm interested in tying that one. I trolled for silvers in Seward this last August. I was very sucessful this a 3" B2 Squid by luhr jensen. I think a fly of a squid pattern if tied right will work better. I interested in learning to tie flies. Any suggestions????

11. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Quote:
    "...the most productive color pattern was white and very bright light green color. "

I think there is a lot to said about this color description. I've caught squid a number of times in a number of places (stuff them with ricotta and pesto, chill, then cook them in a spicy tomato sauce!!!!!!! :YUM ). The main thing is that squid are biolumenescent, that is, they glow in the dark. The very bright green probably does suggest this under water. Because of this, using some kind of material that does glow would be ideal. My mother, who loves and teaches sewing, once showed me some thread that glows in the dark. Unfortunately, I managed to misplace it. Still, finding some and employing it for a thick underbody could only help.