Squirrel Tail bugs and streamers

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Olive bugger, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +434 / 0
    Over the years I have tied a few streamers using squirrel tail. I found it to be a good material. For some unknown reason, I have not used it for some time and never did use a lot of it. I would be interested to hear your comments on how well it has performed for your and your likes and dislikes about it.
    Thanks
  2. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    I use to love using the brown timber squirrel tail for October caddis and salmon flies, golden stones and many other large winged large sized patterns because it laid down so well like the naturals wings. I never did like using elk hair but have used a lot of finer deer hairs for wings on smaller patterns like the elk hair caddis. I am going to have to look for full skins now after reading about leaches tied with squirrel strips for trout! makes perfect sense to me!
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Don't limit yourself to just the tail. Here's some Slumpbusters I tied up.

[IMG]
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    These are some nice looking flies. I would bet the fish would think so also.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    I used to love the slump buster. My first time ever using the fly was on a cuttie stream and I caught my largest cuttie to date; about 18"-19" and fat! I saw the fish come out from behind a rock to attack the fly, and my heart stopped. As you can imagine, when you get great fish the first time using a fly it immediately becomes a favorite!
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,334 / 0
    I almost always use squirrel as a collar on all my bugger type patterns, rabbit collars on the bigger models. I use it for tails too, but not as often.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,089 / 1
    I have used the tail material on some baitfish patterns because it has some natural segmentation, and the darkness of it makes a great top material for a multi layered look.

I've also used it for a few of my bone fish patterns because the stiff fibers can help the fly stand up on sand flats making it easier for the bones to spot the fly from a distance versus causing the fly to sit down or turn sideways.

Squirrel body strips are also nice because they also tend to be a bit denser/stiffer than rabbit and I think they tend to be a bit more water resistant and in my opinion the material seems to "live" better in the water. I use the strips as tails and I also dub the fibers for bodies on several of my jig leech patterns.
  8. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    The last time I was in Pacific Fly Fishers I checked out the squirrel strips. I almost picked some up, but I noticed the mink strips right next to the squirrel and rabbit. What's different about mink compared to rabbit and squirrel? It looked like shorter and finer hair on narrow strips.

I'm looking at getting some micro-leeches going. I like the idea of incorporating squirrel strips into some of my patterns.
  9. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,231 / 4
    Been using lots of squirrel strips lately. Here are a few I've been tying the past few nights. Not the greatest picture but you get the idea. 2013-01-20_18-59-46_224.jpg
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA

They sure look like they would pull the trigger. Especially on some hungry fish.
    Thanks for posting.
  11. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    So those are the jig hooks? they look nice and already barbless, anybody try the owner "post behind head" jig hooks for level leaches yet?
  12. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Nice ties Nick.

Guys, looks like culling time on these non-native European squirrels we have around here...:rolleyes:

Plus I hear they're pretty tasty too!
  13. Irafly Active Member

Those are the jig hooks and some of those patterns look kinda familiar ;)

Back to the original post though, I think I'd like to find squirrel tail in different colors to actually use as a tail material.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  14. Nick Clayton Active Member

As they should, considering that they are mostly just color combos of your pattern. Lol. Since you turned me onto these jig hooks I've had a good time tying more and more stuff to play with under an indi.

The squirrel strips look great, have good colors, and most importantly for a hack like me, super easy to work with!
  15. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I can't figure out which hooks you're talking about.
  16. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Looks like a Tiemco 403BLJ
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  17. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
  18. Irafly Active Member

19. Nick Clayton Active Member

Cool. Didn't realize Allen had them. Looks like I'd better pay a visit to their site.
  20. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA