SRC august 6th

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by D3Smartie, Aug 6, 2004.

1. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Good morning chasing the cuts on Hood Canal. Not as plentyful as I have seen in past years and there werent any returnign salmon which was unusual but I still had a good morning. Fished from about 7:30 to 11:30.
    Landed 15 or so fish. mostly cuts but a couple small silver smolts.
    The biggest cut was a very nice 18. Thick and powerful. made several jumps and runs before being released. I also landed a couple in the 15-16 inch range and a bunch of 10s.
    Not as many fish as usual but still enough to make it fun and the fish were on average a little bigger than years past.
  2. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Sounds like a great morning. I keep waiting for them to show up in the local rivers but I'm not seeing much yet.

Pete
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I need some bad days like that!:thumb

Jimbo

edit: I'm leaving soon to put in an afternoon/evening shift on a wind-protected tidewater creek, as it is still gusting hard, although the clouds are lightening up, with some sun breaks. Seems like the front has passed here on the coast in the Twin Harbors area. See ya'll!
  4. Blueback New Member

University Place, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I did OK this last August (not as well as you) out on the canal. Nice 14" fish, 4 of 'em. Two on the first day and two the next. I'm goin' back out there tommorrow to see what I can do.
    Also, I was not fly fishing this summer, just throwin' Kastmasters. Now I have a fly rig and will be hitting the Canal with the fly for the first time, so needless to say, the anticipation is at a fever pitch. Wish me luck!
  5. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    man... dig into the archives.... ptyd

good luck out there. shoot me an e-mail if you want to discuss some different areas. dssmart@pepperdine.edu
  6. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    August 6th? Are things getting that stale? I better write something up.

Bob, the And I thought I was old. :eek:
  7. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    also..... welcome to the board. :thumb:
  8. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Definitly not as many fish this summer in those places, (I'm the guy in the tan Lund). Kind of a steady decrease in numbers in many spots over the last three years. Its getting so I have real concerns about the fishery.
  9. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    tan lund..... hmmmm..... I dont usually see many people out there wheer i fish. Maybe 1 or 2 other people in a summer. Where do you launch?
    I have an 11 foot whaler i used to use but have been fishing out of a 17 foot Grady White the past couple summers.

The place i have seen the worst decline in SRC numbers has been agate pass. Used to be tons there and i could run from the dock infron tof my house for about 10 minutes and be into fish. Now there are very few cutties in there. Of course they also got rid of the net pens that used to bring all the hatchery silvers in there. Man that used to be some good fun.
  10. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    I don't see any one where I fish either, thats why I recognized you a few summers ago in the little whaler, I was wondering about that Grady. I run a fly fishing guide service in that area out of a 18 foot lund alaskan, used to own the fly shop in P townsend.
  11. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
  12. Sterling silver Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    OH, so THAT Uncle Jimmy!

Sterling
  13. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Heh, about kings right there, I have hit some beauties on 4 to 6 weight rods but one this summer took the cake. We were fishing a 2 fly combo that has turned into a regular WMD. Maybe 5th. cast of the day we hook about a twelve inch cutt on the four weight, the water was crystal and the thing was pulling staight down so we were watchin it spin around about 6 feet under the boat. All of a sudden it freaks out as a small king, 8 or 10 pounds starts treating it like a living flasher and trying to snap the 2nd fly. Sure enough he got on there, gave one big head shake that knocked the cut right off and took off runninng, we screwed around with him for a little while before he busted off. Was really fun to watch the whole thing though.
  14. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Nice... Do you still fish that toothpick fly? I have tried to tie up some floating candlefish but havent had a lot of success on any. Tough to beat a regular baitfish pattern for overall success.
  15. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    The PICK, If they're in those little baits real well the pick will kill them, or early mornig, late evening. Problem is its gotta run mach 2 to get bit, so if your blind fishing over semi productive water its hardly worth the trouble. I just feel nothing gets the real monsters like the topwater baits. As far as regular bait fish fly's Ive never found one I can stick with season after season. Lance P has one he calls sequim bait that I go back to as a standard but thats about it.
    Do you have a favorite Vanilla bait fish?
  16. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    i almost always go back to an epoxy head minnow of somesort. Small and flashy always seems to get some attention.
    what kind of topwater flies are you fishing these days? do you have a favorite for blind fishing? Most spots i will just run up and quickly cover and then move on. Some deserve more time than others but i spend a lot of time running around until i find a school or concentration of fish.
  17. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Ummm, well lets just say I'm using some big ones. For a searching fly size matters. Big fish are not afraid of huge poppers, if they don't get stuck,I go back with somthin else.
    I'm with you, I'd rather see some scenery than fish where its not hapenin.
  18. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    if they miss on top do you have a subsurface rod rigged to go back or do you change flies and stay on top or..... :confused:

if you have any pictures of your poppers I;d love to see them. I am stuck down here in CA in the middle of a rainstorm and nothing down here is designed for rain so it is shutting down everything. I doubt we will have classes tomorrow. Tying flies is saving me right now.
  19. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Smaller top water bait first. Sorry no pics right now, Yea I heard about your weather, people must be freakin out down there
  20. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    yeah its a mess. flooded roads and mud slides. :beathead:
    but no class :beer2: