SRC...Help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric, May 28, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric New Member

I want to get into some SRC and I'm not sure where to begin. I've got a 6 wt rod and floating line. I live near Carkeek Park and have seen a few people down there. How does it fish? Anybody have any other suggestions on places in the Central to North Sound? Thanks in advance!

Eric

2. JAV

JAV New Member

Eric,
    I too have just recently started targeting SRCs in the salt. I think a 6 wt. is perfect. I have fished Carkeek a couple times with no luck. I have seen baitfish jumping and some larger fish just outside casting distance, but no takers.

Last weekend I checked out Lincoln Park. From what I have read and seen it is a good place to fish for SRC.

There are several great previous threads on the topic, I would suggest doing a search (include archived topics) under "Seattle SRC" or something along those lines. There is also a good article on the front page of this site. Good luck.
    Jon

3. rockfish

rockfish Member

look for structure along the shore line with a tide rip fairly close to creeks

4. ltlcleo

ltlcleo New Member

I have to agree with rockfish.Searun cuttys kinda behave in the salt like they are still in the river.They tend to hang in the first 2 to 6 feet of water off the shoreline,behind structure that will bring the food to them.The food depends on the erea and the time of the season.It takes some time to figure out every differrant erea.A strong tide can be a key but feed availability is a key also.Time in a section of saltchuck beats all the free advice you can find.They are an agresive fish but you have to figure out what makes them agressive specific to the erea. :THUMBSUP

5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Check out the most current Northwest Fly Fishing magazine. Just got mine today. There is an artcile of SR's.

6. Brian

Brian New Member

Eric,
    Get your self some type of sinking line. I use the Airflo multi tip (floater, intermediate, 3" & 7" IPS sink rates) line for my saltwater fishing. The floater will work in certain situations, but you are better off with some type of sinking line to get your pattern down. The six weight is perfect for searuns, not to heavy but enough backbone for when the wind blows on the sound. I live just above Carkeek. Email me at fishbs@aol.com if you have any further questions.
    Good Luck,
    Brian