Src Monster

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matthew Gulbranson, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    WOW, thanks for boosting my motivation to get out there. The high gas prices,boat/trailer/suv tabs and licensing,discovery pass,etc has really discouraged me to fish this year..
  2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    Very nice, Matthew. Worthy of the pic.
  3. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    What a great fish! Nice photo as well. I also tend to drop the rod in the water next to the fish and then snap a couple of quick shots before the release. Nicely done.
  4. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Thomas, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I didn't see any slashes under the throat, but then the 12" that I got a few casts later didn't have them either. It kind of reminded me of a small summer steelhead in a way, especially looking at the tail and the long sleek body. Most of the big cutts I've caught had big shoulders, but this one was a little different. At first I almost thought it was a small steelhead, but it certainly looks like a cutty too. So I think it's totally plausible for it to be some kind of mix! Interesting.

And thanks Gents for the comments. I'll be remembering this fish for a long, long time!! What a gift!
  5. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Matthew, I too have wondered about some of the searun cutthroat I have seen that also looked like they may have been "searun cutt-bows." I'm OK with the uncertainty, as it lends an element of mystery to cutthroat fishing.
  7. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Toad cutthroat man, congratulations! Those are rare!
  8. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Wow, excellent. As Sea Run Cutthroat go, that could be the fish of a lifetime. Outstanding.
  9. !chawycha! Member

Poulsbo, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Matthew, yes, that setup looks familiar! That is where I saw it before! What line are you using?

Congratulations on the amazing fish!
  10. Without a camera no one would have believed you. Looks like either a steelhead or a cutthroat/steelhead hybrid. Amazing fish. Well done.
  11. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Unreal. You might have just burned up the remainder of your mojo for that one.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Photoshopped!
  13. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ed, if you new my lack of photoshop skills you would know if I did! ;)
    Chawycha - I use a 330 compact scandi. Seems to work well in most situations.
    Thom - I hope I still have a little mojo left, but I agree, this fish was worth getting blown out of my OP trip. I seriously doubt I'll ever see another one like it. Now is it too much to ask to land a 20lb steelhead this weekend?? Maybe the mojo is still working?? :D
  14. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Great fish Matt.
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Matthew, you truly are never in question from my perspective. That sea run cutthroat was amazing. So, how did the quest for steelhead go for you this weekend?
  16. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ed, I just had to laugh at the thought of me actually putting together a believable photoshopped picture! As for the steel quest, that will happen next weekend. This will be the #4 attempt at getting out there this year, we'll see if a rouge storm blows in and dashes our chances.
  17. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,141 / 4
    You know, I was thinking about what to compare such a fish to. My first thought was twenty pound steel, but the more I think of it I see and hear of way more twenty pound steelhead being caught than src of that size. I caught two twenty lb steel on the same day once, but never caught such a beast of a src. Incredible
  18. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Heck of a cutthroat MG. I would tend to believe that fish a full blooded SeaRun based on the patterning of the spots but we'll never know without a DNA test. I have caught my share of big cutts and the ones that I believe to be hybrids show a rosier cheek and generally have almost no spots below the lateral line. There was a thread here sometime ago that addressed the hybrid issue and i think had some decent pics.
  19. Jim Lawrence New Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    About 5 years ago I was fishing near theHood Canal bridge with a spinning rod and brought to hand an 17 inch fish but as it got near the boat another bigger one flashed past the first fish. I tried all day to catch it but nothing. I went back to the same spot on Sunday and caught it first cast. I measured it at 23 3/4 inch. At the time I didn' t realize what a prize that was. and of course no camera to show it. I'll always remember that day not only for the fish but because of my job as I was on the clock as well.
  20. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Nice work!!