SRC Newbie

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by driftflyfisher, Feb 17, 2014.

1. driftflyfisher

driftflyfisher New Member

I've never fished in salt before (I live in Utah and fish small streams mostly, with the occasional trip up to the Henry's Fork in Idaho), and I've recently been turned on to the SRC there in Puget Sound. I'm planning a trip to Seattle for the middle of March and wondered if I could get some info from the community here. I've managed to glean some info on the forums here, such as what flies to use, what rod to use...
    I won't be able to stray far (I'll actually be staying in Kent), so I was thinking about a 30-45 minute-ish radius. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go? Which beaches are good that I could hit? Being in the middle of the mountains, I know nothing about tides. Is there a better time to try and fish? High or low tide, incoming or outgoing?
    I'm seeing people like shrimp patterns...what kind of action should I give them if I end up using one? Where in the water column should they be fished?
    What size fish should I expect to be catching? Can I expect to hook into anything other than Cutts?

2. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

3. driftflyfisher

Thanks, Craig, for that treasure trove of info! I'm getting even more excited now!

4. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

5. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

In addition to the above suggestions, pick up a copy of Les Johnson's "Fly Fishing for Coastal Cutthroat Trout" or Chester Allen's "Fly Fishing for Sea Run Cutthroat". Both excellent books with a wealth of knowledge and tips on chasing SRC!

R00k likes this.
  6. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I strongly second Les's book. It is invaluable.

7. rotato

rotato Active Member

Hop over the narrows bridge for more options
    You might have to extend your drive time a little (15-20)
    Good luck

8. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Look for barnacle covered rocky beaches with a creek nearby. If fish aren't biting, move to the next spot. Gig Harbor Fly Shop has locations on their website to fish for SRC. Nothing quite like fishing a tide that changes at dusk.

Good luck

9. driftflyfisher

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's all been helpful. I'll be there in just three weeks hoping to be hooking into some Cutts and/or Coho!