SRC Patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Tom Grobelny, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

I will be camping at Dosewallaps State Park on Hood Canal this weekend with my family, I decided to give SRC fishing a try for the first time. I tried my hand at some simple streamer flies and was inspired by some of the reverse spiders that I have seen on this site.

Since I will be fishing in the salt, I thought that the spider pattern would not be effective there, but I liked the idea of the increased action of the reversed hackle. I incorporated that idea on one of the chartreuse streamers by adding some red artic fox tail in a reversed hair hackle at the head of the fly. I am hoping that it might look like a bloody bait fish.

I also tied some more normal flies just in case. Take a look at the attached photo, the “bloody bait fish” is on the top right. I will give it a try this weekend, but since this is my first time fishing for SRC’s my testing will probably not be worth much.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I would give myself more credit if I were you. Those are some pretty nice looking flies indeed. Maybe a few of the heads could be tighter and smaller, but they will all catch fish no doubt. The Spiders, in all of their forms, will work great in saltwater. So will Stimulators, Elk Hair caddis and wooly buggers!

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Good looking flies! They will work great. I would also throw out small clousers and decievers as a couple of favorites for SRC.

Trevor

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Bob would know or not-- I have heard a black spider with an elongated white marabou tail works great. Just about any fly with the white marabou tail added works good. What says Bob?

Davy

5. Anil

Anil Active Member

I have to agree with the previous statements. Fly selection matters, but much more important is getting the fly in front of the Searuns. I prefer to fish ‘baitfish’ patterns, because I like to tie them. Searuns will eat a huge variety of patterns. Your flies look like they will do the trick.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

6. Bob Triggs

What says Bob?

Take a look at our fly patterns page in the Gallery (access via dark tool bar at top of page, you have to log-in there too.) and then look at all the wonderful flies. Also, doing a search on Fly Swaps there will yield many good flies.

7. JWKitsap

JWKitsap Member

I've had decent luck catching sea-runs on a simple pattern that consisted of a piece of rabbit strip in olive, white or flesh colored the length of the hook plus an inch or so tied down with a beadhead fished from a floating line. The profile of the fly looks somewhat like a small baitfish. I agree that 90% of the game is getting the fly in front of the fish as SRC's in my experience are quite aggressive fish and will come from quite a distance to take a fly.

Jason

8. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

just remember...in the salt let'm go...boy I need to get me a saltwater license.

Going to build me a 7wt for it

:p

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Don't rule out the Reversed Spider as a saltwater pattern. It works great for resident coho as well as sea-run cutthroat. Bob Young does well year-round in the salt with a conventional black Knudsen Spider.

10. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I was incorrect about the spider patterns. I am afraid that I did not have a chance to tie any up. I will try a Carry Special if the streamers are not working though.

I will check back in after the trip.

Tom G

11. willieboat

willieboat Member

Tom,
    Resist wading too deeply when you are searching the salt for cutts. I seem to catch most of them in 2 to 3 feet of water.
    Dress warm, still in the twenties at night.

Don

12. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

SRC Patterns (fishless report)

I am afraid that I must report a skunked weekend. To be fair though, I did not have a chance to try very hard though.

I only spent about an hour in the salt on Friday afternoon, beautiful, sunny and warm day on an outgoing tide. The beach in front of the access was mostly muddy, but I figured that I would start there and work my way over toward some more rocky areas. Just about the time I reached a rocky area that seemed interesting, My son came to get me to get back to camp.

Saturday we decided that the marshy-muddy beach was not too much fun for the kids to play, so we found a large gravel bar on the Dosewallup River for the kids to play and I worked the river up and down from there (streamers, nymphs and attactors). All in all a pleasant, but fishless day.

By the way, it did get cold at night, we rented a “heated” platform tent at the state park that was not much warmer than our normal tent would have been. We all had 20 deg mummy bags, so we were OK, but decided to leave Saturday night instead of Sunday.

Thanks for all of the info, I might wander over to the North Sound (Picnic Point etc) and give it another try before my 04 saltwater license expires.

13. davpot

davpot davpot

I guess everyones pretty much covered the bases here, but I just had to add my favorite SRC fly: Orange Dee fly with white wings. A real killer in most situations. The tail and hackle should be spotty and buggy. I use Guinee for the throat. Good luck!
    Dave :thumb:

14. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

If you worked the beach through with a popper or other surface fly you will know fairly quickly if there are any fish around.

Leland.

15. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just seconding Leland's comment. Even if you don't hook 'em, if they're there you'll see them come up for it.

16. Bob Triggs

Ditto the mention of the Popper Flys. And a big, fluffy Dry Fly will work too!

17. Davy

Davy Active Member

Here's a fly that I used for Searuns to great success for much of the 80's and early 90's on the lower Stillaguamish river and delta. Pattern is named a Chappie and I believe I got it from Roy Patricks old NW Pattern book
    This one is on a #4 double Wilson lowwater hook.

Body is orange floss ribbed with copper wire. 4 hackles in the wing ( two splayed back to back and two concave side in)

Davy

Attached Files: