SRC patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jfh9, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jfh9

jfh9 Member

Could somebody recommend acouple of good src patters that are reliable and easy to tie?

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    take some crystal flash.... tie it on a size 4 hook with a silver body. And maybe add a dark wing...
    anything flashy will work. Or just go with a clouser.

3. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    Reversed K. Spider

4. davpot

davpot davpot

Home Page:
    ;) Try an Orange Dee fly with white wings. Body hackle specklish grey or brown, size 6. Vicious takes :eek: :eek:

5. Shane Stewart

Shane Stewart Friend of Wild Fish

Media:
    You can substitute the Lady Amherst with mallard flank

Attached Files:

6. Jeremy Husby

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow, that looks like a killer.

7. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    So, when tying a spider like that, do you just wrap the hackle and then finish behind ti to pull it forward, or do you take the hackle off of the quill and tie it forward like you would hair? Thx for the help. And, I've been having trouble finding a recipe for the Orange Dee, what is it?

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

If you'll do a search on the Reversed Spider you should find one thread in which I did my best to describe how it's tied. Basically, the hackle is the first thing to be tied on. Tie it in by the tip right behind the eye and wind back along the shank of the hook, one turn behind the last, stroking the fibers forward to form a cone. When the hackle and tail are in place tie the chenille in and wind it forward over the butts of the hackle then back to a point just in front of the tail and whip finish. if I have the time today I'll try to take some pictures.

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Okay, I'm going to try to post some step-by-step pictures of tying the Reversed Spider.

10. Jeremy Husby

Media:
    Home Page:
    Great Job Preston. . .That should answer allot of questions. . .

11. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Preston,

Thanks for posting that sequence of shots. My reverse spiders seem to work well on the Sea Runs but lacked the tapered body. Now I know why.

REE

12. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Cool, that makes sense, nice pics. Next, what is an Orange Dee? I've seen references to it, but no good pics. Is it just an orange body (dubbing or chenille), palmered hackle (thru the body) and a white hair wing?

13. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    A brown and white marabou clouser would be my top suggestion. I have yet to see any reason to use anything else.

Here is a link to this fly http://members.aol.com/gigharborflyfish/public_html/flies.html

Keep the white marabou sparse, and keep the marabou short, I always use a size 8 hook, and prefer a gamakatsu bone fish hooks.

14. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

I have had great luck with black clousers in the South Sound in the past couple of months. Completely black body with a generous amount of gold flash and yellow eyes.

15. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I have found in past years the same thing that black seems to be the color this time of year though I have no idea why. About the end of April black rarely will take a fish for me.

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks, Preston. Great shots!.
    Glad to know I was doing it right, except that I have been tying on ribbing (silver tinsel), letting it hang forward with the mallard, before tying in the chenille. Then the final step before whipping it off at the base of the tail would be to wind the ribbing backward and secure it.
    I have noticed that it is common to leave out the ribbing on the Reversed Spider, but I have been adding it as the recipe I had for the regular Knudsen's Spider called for it.
    I have also noticed, that once a Cutthroat's teeth have ripped off the ribbing, the fly fishes just as well.
    Another killer substitution that I use with yellow or orange bodies, is red hackle fibers for the tail.

The Reversed Spider was my "go to" fly in my local waters last year, and is absolutely lethal (figure of speech...I let 'em all go), but this year I am going to try to break away from it and try other patterns such as Rolled Muddlers and that Marabou Clouser gigharborflyfisher likes.

Jimbo

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

One more thing I often do is tie them with 7 or 8 wraps of lead wire on the forward part of the body (added after the hackle and tail are secured).

The added weight helps when casting into a breeze (to counteract the wind resistance of all that reversed mallard) or when you need to get the fly down in current or in some of those deep pools at the head of tidewater in some of the streams I fish. I'll even fish the weighted ones off my clear full-sink intermediate at higher tides in these pools. You don't get to see the take, but it is effective.

But the un-weighted ones retrieved just under the surface off a floating line or down a little lower off a clear intermediate sinktip will draw a cutthroat up to smack it where you can see the take, and that is just as exciting as getting one to rise to a dry.

Jimbo

18. Preston

Preston Active Member

Although the hot orange/wood duck combination has become my go-to color combination over the last few years, I always tie up plenty of black/Amherst tippet, black/yellow-dyed Amherst tippet and yellow/golden pheasant tippet. For some reason I seem to have gotten away from from using duck flank except in the case of the hot orange/wood duck and sometimes substituting yellow-dyed mallard flank for Amherst tippet when I can't find a good rich yellow. I've never weighted mine and always fish them on a dry line in fresh water. When fishing the beach I'll sometimes use an intermediate line.