SRC poppers?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by rebizap, Feb 19, 2006.

1. rebizap New Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So alot of people have been talking about using poppers for src. Does any one have a pic or a link to a pic of what they are using?
  2. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
  3. rebizap New Member

Bothell,WA
    Thanks thats just what i was looking for:thumb:
  4. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    not sure what makes one a slider vs a popper... i just call all the surface flies poppers if they have any foam on them...
    The easiest thing to do is take a baitfish pattern and slide a dink foam over the leader above your fly... works well

Attached Files:

5. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Popper usually has a flat or concave head you chug against the water, a slider has a cone head. If you turned the miyawaki popper head around it would be a popper.

Someone with more authority correct me if I'm wrong.
  6. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    here is a slider...

Attached Files:

7. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    one more... just a head an baitfish pattern

Attached Files:

8. tightlines New Member

Seattle, WA
    Nice photos D3
  9. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +832 / 1
    IBN is correct. My popper is technically a slider. Miyawaki Beach Slider didn't sound nearly as nice as Miyawaki Beach Popper. I have since changed my tying techniques and materials since the posting on PSFC.COM.

The stinger is a Gamakatsu Octopus #4 and is looped on with 25lb Maxima.

Leland.
  10. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.
    Leland,

What percentage of your hook ups are on the stinger?
  11. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    100%

its only one hook. The main shaft has the hook clipped off.
  12. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    I have to tie bigger dries then. The pictures on here are of huge sliders and poppers. I use little ones. 2 inches at the most.
    As others have said. You can turn any pattern into a dry. Just buy some foam heads and slide them on your line. Works really well and you don't have to have twie the flies, unless you want to.
    Chris
  13. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    ringlee... the black and white one on top is about as small as i go, although i have a few that are about that size. A lot of the time i will have smaller fish strike at the larger flies and not hook them. Decreases the number of fish i catch, but the ones i do hook are bigger.
  14. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    Here are a couple patterns that I have been tying up in the last few weeks. I havent fished them yet. But these colors worked off my beach at christmas. The blue one was drying an wasnt quite finished yet. I will be trying these out in March.
  15. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Miyawaki's Popper is a slider (unless you turn the head around). What is important is that you don't have to "pop" Leland's slider. In fact, I've caught more salmon using a steady, gentle retrieve that just makes a very slight "V" wake. You just have to learn to make a couple of hard strips when the MP is grabbled before setting the hook. It will improve your fish to hand per hookup ratio considerably.
    Good fishing,
    Les Johnson