SRC Regs

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by FlyinFish, Feb 19, 2013.

1. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    So, I was looking through the regs to see specifically what is written for searun cutts in the sound. I see them listed as C&R only in all marine areas, and I see that for all species in MA 5-13, barbless hooks are required.

What I don't see is a reg for single hooks only (expect for when fishing salmon in MA 1-13), and I don't see a reg for artificial lures only.

I've heard people say that beach fishing for cutts is artificial, single hooks, barbless only, but don't see this in the regs. Since I haven't had a chance to meet with my attorney, financial planner, psychiatrist, and priest yet to help me understand the regs, I'm wondering if I'm just missing something?

Not that it matters to me, cause this is how I will fish them anyway, but I have seen a few people out on beaches fishing bait, and I want to have my facts straight so I can educate them or call the hotline if that fails.
  2. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    A person could fish for cutts using bait, since it is legal to do so. I'm not aware of any regulation that requires you to use artifical lures.
    I can't remember the last time I ran into anyone using bait specifically to target searun cutthroat. I'm sure folks still do at times.
    The last time I did it was in the late 70's trolling firecracker herring before my flyfishing days started.

Before "educating" anyone using bait and especially herring, you should be aware that lots of people target salmon off the beaches with herring.
    It is effective and legal way to target salmon both under a float or casting and retrieving using two single barbless hooks on a mooching leader.
    There are several beaches I can think of were I wouldn't recommend trying to be the educator, otherwise you might encounter some unruly students. ;)
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +849 / 0
    Fortunately they would be limited to catching and mangling, i mean releasing, two cutts if they were law abiding bait fisherman since any fish caught with bait must be counted as part of the limit whether or not they were released.
  4. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Haha, yes, I know to pick my audience wisely! Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I had heard from several folks offhandedly that cutt fishing was artificial only.

Could one also use treble hooks to fish for cutts? I guess you'd have a hard time convincing the warden that your spinner is aimed only at the cutts and not at the salmon.
  5. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    no trebles in the salt
  6. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Pat,
    I don't think that rule applies when fishing bait in the salt. I've never seen that rule in the reg book unter the MA areas.
    If I'm incorrect, please tell me where I might find it.
    I believe that rule only applies towards your trout limit when fishing with bait in freshwater streams and lakes.
    You'd hope they'd quit fishing after mangling a couple cutts in the salt, but I doubt most would.

I've lived here my entire life and find the regulations more unclear with each passing year.
    SF
  7. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Pat, I don't see that listed. All I see is where it says that when fishing for salmon, only single point hooks are allowed (page 98), and that MA 5-13 is all barbless (page 98). Am I missing that?

Ya, understanding the regs has become a sport in itself.
  8. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I could be wrong on that, I know it is at least a freshwater rule. It should apply to all waters if it doesn't already.
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    well targeting salmon or cutts in the salt is barbless single point, I thought we were talking about that. Since rockfish is closed and lings are a very short window, I guess I wasnt thinking or caring about that part.
    Since you have a copy of the regs and or can acess them online you should be able to flip through and find exactly what youre looking for.

But for most species and fishing situations in the puget sound you would not be allowed to use a treble.
  10. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    I don't think targeting cutts requires single barbless, only salmon does. Not trying to be argumentative, just curious, and I think it's important info for people to have. I'm sure there are others out there as confused as I am.
  11. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Actually, after looking through the regs again, it technically does not say that targeting cutts has to be single point, weird right? One would think that a protected fish would have that kind of regulation.

On a side note if anyone remembers the good ol octopus thread from a while back you might find this quote from the regs interesting

You May Not:

Fish for

salmon , sturgeon , octopus ,
    or Crab
    in saltwater with underwater spearfishing
    gear.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...iant-pacific-octopus.83407/page-2#post-777398
  12. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    FiF,
    When in doudt about a regulation, you can always call or email WDFW with your question.
    Hopefully whoever replies has a full grasp on the regs themselves.......because even they don't always know the immediate answer and have to research it.
    SF
  13. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    I know, right? At least they're still protected by C&R. That is a huge step itself. I think I've finally got it all straight in my head. One weekend's worth of microbrews will probably wash it all away, though.
  14. Catching Nemo New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Correct. Only applies to freshwater, per page 17 for trout.

In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs:
    No min. size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT

(except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit

whether kept or released
  15. Catching Nemo New Member

Renton, WA
    I use trebles sometimes when targeting trout, using spinners, in planted lakes where there is no selective gear rule in effect.

The prohibition on trebles in freshwater typically occurs in rivers where selective gear rules and/or the anti-snagging rules are in effect. But in many rivers, the anti snagging rule goes out of effect on December 1 when hatchery steelhead are running, in which case pretty much the whole kitchen sink of tackle becomes legal.
  16. Catching Nemo New Member

Renton, WA
    Correct regarding "salmon". Per page 98:

When fishing for

SALMON in Marine Areas 1-13,

only single-point barbless hooks may be used.
  17. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +706 / 0
    If you are fishing in a marine area for sea runs, during an open salmon season there, you will likely get screwed legally if you are caught by a Game Warden when you are using trebles in that saltwater area- no matter what rod or leader etc., you are using. Another issue here is that these fish "are to be released without avoidable injury", and trebles are notoriously injurious to fish, even if barbless. We have no significant trouble keeping cutthroat, salmon or steelhead on single barbless hook flies while playing them. It helps to know how to play fish. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
  18. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    There seems to be a change from earlier years. It used to say, "all species, single barbless hook." Now the regs say, "Barbless hooks are required for all species in Marine areas 5-13, except forage fish jig gear." That would indicate that you could use a double or treble hook for fish other than salmon. But why would you? If you are fishing for bullheads you could use a treble I guess but anything else could cause problems if you accidently hooked a salmon using bait or lure.
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  19. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +716 / 0
    Steve -
    On page 10 of the fishing rule pamphlet "Forage Fish Jig Gear" is defined as -

"Jig gearmay have up to three treble hooks or nine single-point hook, not to exceed 3/8" between point and shank. May only be used for forage fish or squid."

Further Forage Fish is defined as -

"Includes anchovy, sand lance, herring, sardine, and smelt."

I don't recall that being a change though it may have been re-worded to make things "clearer".

Curt
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  20. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I am aware of what forage fish and gear is . The point was that the regs used to say, "all species, single barbless hooks." That would have included bullhead, flounder, sea bass, salmon, etc. They have revised it a bit.