SRC Regs

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by FlyinFish, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Expect to be asked to sign petitions and write to the commission regarding a rule change to ban bait for trout in marine areas at the next submission cycle. I know a couple of guys who are working on it.

How do you feel about leaving them in the water until released? The same guys are sick of seeing them "Colgated", squished in one hand like a tube of toothpaste to wave in front of a camera. Like no one knows what a trout looks like.

There may be a back lash about how they're tough, it doesn't hurt them etc. I'll defer to the first message that explains why it's good for them or reduces C&R mortality. There's a reason wild steelhead aren't to be removed from the water.

2. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I get where you are coming from Don but where do you draw the line when it comes to fishing bait? Are you going to ask that bait be prohibited in marine areas for salmon as well becasue some caught are wild? I think everyone has the right to enjoy fishing for cutthroat trout in the salwater whether they do it with a fly or a strip of herring on a spinning rod. The more anglers that are ousted from our sport because certain tequniqes are banned just to serve a certain group means less advocates for the fish and their habtat. I just hate to see less kids get involved in the sport because they have not aquired the skills yet to cast a fly rod or toss a small spinner on a spinning outfit.

I started out fishing the sound with my dad when I was 2 years old and when I was old enough to hold a rod we gear fished for salmon, lingcod, rockfish and sear run cutthroat trout all the time. We caught a lot of sea runs trolling herring on trout gear and I can not remember hooking one poorly so that it could not be safely released. I support single barbless hooks for sea runs which is consistant with the salmon regulation but I am not so sure about a bait ban. Just my humble opinion though.

3. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

4. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Your right Don you did not say anything about salmon, I simply asked the question on where the line is drawn when it comes to banning bait. Is it sea run cutthroat trout, salmon, steelhead, perch, flounder? They are all native and their numbers are below historical levels in puget sound. Also I said I started fishing with my dad when I was 2 years old which meant I was going out on the boat with him. Later in the same sentence I said that since I could hold a rod I fished for sea run cutthroat trout, salmon, ling cod and rockfish with gear and since most 2 year olds can't hold a rod let alone fish I assumed that the people reading my comment would be able to figure out that I was a bit older than 2 when I was actually fishing.

And from my many experiences trolling bait for sea run cutthroat trout there were no more fish that were fataly hooked because that bait was being used instead of flies. The size of bait, hook and speed at which the bait is being fished prevented the cutthroat from being hooked deeply which has not always been the case in my experience while fly fishing. Although deeply hooked fish is infrequent when fly fishing for cutthroat it does happen and in my opinion happens more often than while trolling herring for them.

Also the correlation of the sea run cutthroat trout population being depressed prior to catch and release regulation because they were fished with bait is ridiculous. I would have to say the population is larger since the regulation change because you can no longer retain any sea run cutthroat trout not because of hook mortalitly from fishing bait. And if what you said is true and that fish that swim off after you release them don't always survive then I guess us fly fisherman are just as guilty of killing sea run cutthroat trout while catch and release fishing for them as someone trolling small herring.

Your stated rational is flawed and obviously self serving. Also for your information people can tie leaders with smaller hooks to fish small strips and cut plug herring. I don't expect to change your obviously one sided opinion on this topic and after this post will no longer waste my time trying to explain to you that responsible anglers fishing bait kill no more sea run cutthroat trout than responsible fly anglers in a catch and release fishery. Good fishing to you Mr. Freeman.