SRC--Semi Madness Returns-Hood Canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

and me, i'll be quiet..........with scotch !

2. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Funny, I see barnacles and/or oyster shells in pretty much every picture. I've also fished Hood Canal my fair share, and most beaches are pretty "oystery". I just don't believe in a shot of every (or even most) fish and definitely don't drag them onto the beach (sorry, sliding a fish onto the beach vs dragging is just semantics). The topic of release comes up every once in a while, and general consensus seems to be that a well-crimped fly and a quick flip of the wrist with the fish still in the water, possibly cradled in a knotless net is the way to go. Why do you think they are now requiring knotless nets in many fisheries? Abrasions DO impact survival rates, so that's my .02 worth. I appreciate your willingness to post a report and enjoyed hearing of your success, we just have differing opinions when it comes to release.

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Larry, thanks for the report and pics....It made
    my day at work a little better.

Dave

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for torturing us with another great report complete with pics, Larry! I'm nominating you to be inducted into the Beachbum Hall of Infamy! And I ain't waitin' for March, either.
    I agree that its easier to release a fish that has been played out a bit, but not overly exhausted. The ones I tried to release after horsing 'em in too soon were still too feisty and uncooperative. They even flop around too much in a net when you horse 'em in too soon. I might get a lightweight rubber mesh net to take with me on the beach (my boat net is too heavy).

5. atdwash

atdwash New Member

And my useless 2 cents...

Great report Larry, and it's great that you are out there getting into them. But the words do more for me than the pics because I know what a sea-run looks like. I personally don't make a habit out of taking pictures of most of the fish that I catch, but I respect a guy's right to do so if he isn't doing too much damage. I have held up a few larger fish to take pics of when a friend is nearby with a camera, but I have never pulled one up on the rocks. I just don't think it's a good idea.

Is a release in deeper water without handling the fish the best way to minimize the damage? I think so.
    Does handling them or laying them on rocks in or out of shallow water do more damage than not? I think so.
    Does it make a huge amount of difference? I don't know.

I wanted to throw out my opinion here because this issue is surprisingly one-sided when it does come up (or maybe those on my side of the issue are just afraid of getting raked across the coals so they keep it to themselves). But there are new guys out here who are getting started in this sport based on this site (I know because I'm one of them) and I think it's my right to give them my opinion too. We are all pretty set in our ways and I don't think any of us are going to change each-others' opinions, but I'd love it if the new guys who have not yet formed those opinions saw things a little more on the safe-side.

6. SAU

SAU Member

7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mumbles and I tried to follow in your footsteps - but the skunk was on. Similar conditions but just didn't find them today. Thanks for the report and great pics!

8. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

I also appreciate your report Larry, nice early cutts; you gotta love that fjord. It’s been my favorite searun and silver haunts for a very long time.

9. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I don't think that's fanatical at all. I use a home made version of the same tool, and it works equally well in knee deep water, or within a knotless net. This issue is one that really seems to get the hackles up on this board. I choose not to touch or beach my catch, and believe that it likely reduces stress in the long run. While the increased mortality that may result from beaching, squeezing, and delaying release to take pictures is debatable, we can probably all agree that it certainly doesn't do anything to promote survival either.

I do know that in the next round of regulation proposals, there will be one to restrict removing coastal cutts from the water, like for steelhead and wild salmon, so this may become a moot question. In the meanwhile, it looks like we all do agree that the fish should be stressed as little as possible after water boarding, even if we don't agree on what's always appropriate.

When we post pictures here we're volunteering to be judged in the public eye, it's not like some paparazzi caught us with our pants down, so be prepared. Some of us are more open to that scrutiny than others, you'll notice my back's turned in my picture.

10. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Member

Larry,

I'm fairly new to the SRCs in salt water, so thank you for the info. Between this post and the one in a previous thread with the popsicle recipe, I took a few steps up the learning curve.

Great looking fish

11. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Nice report and pictures! Though I wasn't offended by the release I do appreciate hearing the concerns about it.

Thanks Larry and keep posting.

James.

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I just made a de-hooker similar to the one Don posted a pic of a while back, and for no cost except for a few minutes of my time using materials I already had lying around in my garage.
    I've been hoping to be able to test it, but the fish ain't cooperatin'!

13. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Good reminder Jim. Here's de hooker, and the way I use it. The one on the bottom is the simplest, requiring a cup hook and a dowel. The sophisticated version calls for a piece of broom handle and a coat hanger, and it works much better. Cost of goods is around a buck. I really favor tube flies, as I can get to the hook most easily, and you can see it works for all sizes. I usually just leave the fish in the water and pop out the hook, but for larger fish like these, it's gentler to restrain them, like dry fly Larry explained, so they're in the net.

PS, these photos were taken for a conservation article, I usually don't bother.

14. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Gorgeous fish Larry!! thanks for sharing!

15. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    wont that destroy or damage your fly?

16. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Nope, you just make contact with the gap of the hook with the tool, and lift while pushing the leader down lower than the hook. The weight of the fish pulls the hook out. I use tube flies partly for that reason. Take a look at the middle picture where I'm releasing the cutthroat. The fly is slid up the leader in my left hand 18" from the hook, which is all you can see. I use the same fly for weeks sometimes, and just replace fresh hooks. You can see the fly in the chum picture, also removed from the hook. , and the nasty teeth. I can catch dozens of fish on the same fly.

If you're using standard flies, it's still easier on your pattern than pinching with hemostats or fingers.