SRC's and tides

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Aug 29, 2002.

1. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    Would anyone care to share their favorite tide for searuns in the estuaries? I read one article that said it's best on an incoming, but I'd like other opinions.
    Thanks.
  2. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Incoming is probaly best, at least for me. It's 3:30 right now and low tide is at 4. high tide is at 9 something. I'm leaving at 5 for picnic point(I might go to this other place too). I'll post later and let ya know how the incoming tide was!!!! :DEVIL YT
  3. roger stephens Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I generally would rather fish a flood tide than an ebb tide. But having said that I don't think that it makes that much diference which tide is best for catching src's. At some locations the current sets up better on the flood vs ebb tide and others locations the current sets up better on the ebb vs flood tide. Another important factor is fishing during low light conditions such as daybreak, dusk, or cloudy day with little or no wind. The src's food supply is generally in shallower water during these times and thus it is easier to have your fly get their attention.
  4. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +445 / 1
    just remember, throw 'em back

incoming near dawn or dusk (dusk preferred) for sure!
  5. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    I hit them very well over the last couple of weeks while trying for silvers. Seemed to do best from high slack through the first two hours of the outgoing. This was in a bay however, but when I've caught them along rocky points the opposite seemed to be true. It always seemed to be best on the incoming. Don't know why this would happen. Maybe just coincidence or maybe something about the way the tidal current affects bait varies between exposed points and protected bays. Anyone have any thoughts?
  6. SeaClarki New Member

Seattle, Wa.
    I think it just depends on the beach. Have fished my favorite beach pobably at least a hundred times (maybe more) over the last 10 years and have found the outgoing tide to be way better than the incoming tide, it may have to do with the current, I don't know.
  7. superflie New Member

It's all a matter of the particular spot. My favorite beach does best at an outgoing tide when it is real low, almost slack. It also does well at high tide, but the fish seem more active and aggressive at a low, outward tide. My second favorite beach is the exact opposite. It does poorly on a low tide and real well on an incoming tide. The first beach is a spit with a steep slope which is deep at all tides and the second beach is flat and shallow, which leads me to believe that fish will head for the deeper areas along the shoreline when the tide is low.
    -Bryan
  8. Roll Cast New Member

Renton, WA, USA.
    It seems we have a lot to learn.
    Maybe it is just the nature of fishing.
    I fished for 2 1/2 hours (6:30AM to 9:00AM) off Williams Point (Lincoln Park) with 5 other anglers (4 fly guys - 2 metalhead guys). Collectively we landed a few fish (count them on one hand). I saw a flounder and another (?) Salmonoid.
    The fishing was good. The fish catching was iffy. I had a hit or two. Bringing something to net would have been nice.
    But not to mislead you, best of all I was in/on the water instead of on the sofa watching TV.
    Playhard,
    Rollcast
    Think Good Thoughts
    Play as if Life were the prize
  9. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I believe SeaClarki and Superflie are right. Though Cutts (and most other game fish) may prefer to feed on the incoming tide, a great deal of it depends on how the tidal currents wash the feed into the shoreline structure. Some spots fish well early on the flood, others fish well late on the ebb, and still others fish well during slack. It all depends upon the location and how the bait is washed across the structure. Can't remember where I read this, but paraphrased it said something like "...fishing is great at all periods of the tide somewhere throughout the entire tidal range..." Just goes to show, ya' gotta do your homework and pay your dues to get the timing right.

Greg
  10. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +445 / 1
    just remember, throw 'em back

well said.