SRC's in a Lemon Dill Sauce

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Sep 2, 2008.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Yeah, there are more dufus'es out there than we think. We ran into the same situation recently with "worm fisherman" on a C & R stream. We politely mentioned it was C & R. The reply, "Yeah we know" as they picked up their Folgers can and walked upstream to where we knew were some fine cutties... of 17-20" in the hole. We went downstream crying and bitching. :mad:
  2. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Not sure what river you are tallking about, but that may have been legal. Sad but true. The limit for many westside rivers is 2 trout over 14". Just because cutts are protected in saltwater doesn't mean they get the same in rivers. Cutts only receive blanket C&R protection in Puget Sound. Also the tidal portion of a river does not mean marine area regs. The MOUTH of the river defines the dividing line. The regs are different for different rivers. Here is what they say for the lowest portions of three popular "s" rivers.

SKAGIT RIVER from mouth to Hwy. 536 at Mt. Vernon (Memorial Hwy. Bridge):
    Dolly Varden/bull trout: Year-round Min. size 20". May be retained as part of TROUT daily limit.
    All Other TROUT Year-round Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.

SNOHOMISH RIVER (Snohomish Co.) from mouth (Burlington-Northern railroad bridges) (including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways) upstream to confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie Rivers
    Dolly Varden/bull trout: June 1-Feb. 28 Min. size 20". May be retained as part of TROUT daily limit.
    All Other TROUT: June 1-Feb. 28 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.

STILLAGUAMISH RIVER (Snohomish Co.) and all sloughs downstream of Marine Drive (south of Stanwood)
    TROUT: Year-round Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
    Other Game Fish: Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of Catch and Release and would support improving the regs in this regard. But we shouldn't go misquoting the regs either.

How can you get pissed at someone for not understanding the regs when its clear you haven't read them?

CW
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Larry, I hope you did more than just "crying and bitching."

Did you get a description of the perps and phone it in? Try to figure out which rig was theirs back at the parking spot, and record the vehicle description?

Or did you whip out your .357 magnum and shout, "OK Mofo's, throw your worm cans and bait rods down and strip down to your skivvies. NOW i said!" (fire off a warning shot into the ground if they aren't peeling down). "Keep your skivvies on...I don't wanna see your junk! Now wade out into the creek waist deep. NOW!" (Then burn their clothes and stomp on their gear). "Now don't let me EVER catch you using bait here again. And don't even think about ever keeping a trout from here. Or next time it will be worse. I'll be watching!"

So, what approach did you take?:clown:
  4. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    Was it C&R and selective gear or just C&R? Not than worm fishers are generally big C&R sports, but unless it was selective gear regs you'd have to see them catch and keep one for it to be a violation- in which case I hope you would report it. After that, a few well placed football sized rocks can sure help to get those cutties out of the biting mood. If you prefer a more passive-aggresive approach, you could act REAL friendly and ask them how the fishing is, and then wade over in their direction splashing wildly, and then fall in and splash like a maniac yelling "I can't swim! I can't swim!":clown:

Call em in though!
    REPORT A POACHER: 1-877-933-9847
    Online reporting: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/enf/poaching.htm

CW
  5. Reefmeup New Member

Olympia,Wa
    I hate those that think the rules dont apply. I hate even more those that believe these animal dont have a right to not just live but thrive. All we can do is be responsible for our own, and set an example.
    My favorite is battle fishing with the rest of the bait chuckers, then being the only one catching fish, then seeing the looks on there faces when I let it go!!! That my friends is a priceless lesson.
  6. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    It was Selective Gear rules. Thanks for the phone #. We should have just followed them up to the "honey hole" that we were pretty sure they were going to. I guess we could have harassed them there and scared up the cutts. Then again, I am a little apprehensive about dealing with local redneck trash.
  7. Wayne Chan Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Do any of you think the yaker's could tell the difference between SRCs, steelheads, resident silvers, or undersize blackmouths? WTG for educating them on fish ID, though I'd bet they'd still mis-ID the next fish they catch.
  8. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Yes, I'm a Kayak Angler.;) Oh your talking about the poachers in question...my bad. Allot of people will mis ID what they catch. How lenient do you have to be to the ignorance of so many?
  9. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +34 / 0

I like your thinking ;)
  10. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Ya gotta be kidding me, what a bunch of PRESUMPTIVE elitist ignorant slobs. GoFish, you have no fking idea what she had, YOU DIDN'T SEE THE FISH, and your just fking guessing. you have no idea what you are talking about and you had no right to try with intent to ruin somebody's day out on the water. there is a ton of fish out there. she could have had anything, including , yes SRC's, but you don't fking know, so shut yerrrrrr pie hole. and yes you are a Dick head. what if i was to tell you that they were both silvers, and that she was simply repeating what her girlfriend told her that she thought they were.
  11. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Obviously you are a gearhead. :D
  12. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    ...and not a fan of punctuation :clown:
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    ...and hostile, opinionated and also have no idea what the lady had or did not have.
  14. Abel1 New Member

Clearview Wa
    Go Fish- I myself believe that you did the right thing. Some here would rather you have a lawyer present and a law ennacted before you say a word! I would say fair is fair and let's just leave it alone.
  15. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    It has been my goal to address the TROUT loop hole in the regs. unfortunately I was too late for the 2008 pamphlet rules change this year and but will addressing it in the 2010 changes. Why there is no distinction of Searun Cutthroat in our west side rivers is beyond my compression especially since they are protected in the sound and obviously are more prone to fishing pressure in the river. In my view this adds to the confusion much less enforcing it. If we can make the distinction for Bull Trout there is no reason we can’t do the same for Searun Cutthroat.

Direct from the WDFW pamphlet:
    The term TROUT includes: Steelhead, Brown, Cutthroat, Tiger, Rainbow, Lake, Golden, and Eastern Brook, Grayling, Kokanee, Landlocked Atlantic, Coho, and Chinook Salmon.
  16. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    I don't think it is a loophole, rather I believe the rule is written FOR Sea Run Cutts. Their "thinking" is that if the limit is 14" and above, cutts will have spawned at least once.

Chris
  17. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Why thank you. :thumb:
  18. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Gearhead, it is refreshing to see that you are also for
    protecting the SRC's of Puget Sound. Thanks for the
    kind words. David
  19. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I am. I apologize for my less than civil response, but felt it necessary to smoke out elistists and make a point. I have a bad habit of raging against those that think they are better than others, and those that presume the worst of people. I may have unfairly used you to do it. It just rubbed me the wrong way reading the responses to your thread. I respect your staying above it, with your kind response.
    Ed.
  20. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Gearhead, that was mighty nice of you to 'smoke out' some of the elite on this website :rofl: I'm all for sharing beer, but you my friend, took it to 11. :thumb:

In all seriousness people here were only concerned about someone harvesting a protected fish, nothing else. When there are few types of salmon, many bottom fish, shellfish, etc. that are o.k. to harvest from the sea, there's no reason to take a protected fish.