St Croix Imperial Spey Rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Don't know how many Spey Casters are here, but I have a chance to get a new St. Croix Imperial Spey Rod, 13', 7/8 weight for $200 plus shipping. Has anyone tried these rods, is this a good deal?

Thanks for any input.
  2. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    My Dad gave me this rod for Christmas...so far it seems pretty nice...however, I have been flogging water due to not having that much of a clue on spey casting :beathead

It does seem like the economical way of breaking into spey casting...
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    Yes that is a good deal to get into spey casting. I have the 14' 9/10 but I was having problems casting so it just sits in the house begging to be taken out but I haven't given in to it yet. I picked up a few bad habbits and haven't been able to break them. So it just sits there.

If you have never done any spey casting it would be a good idea to go to the casting class given every saturday on the Snoqualmie river where the Tolt runs in. River Run Anglers sponsors the class and it is free and all you need to bring is your waders. Everything else is there. Rods,reels and instructions.

Jim
  4. Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

Columbia River Gorge
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    People talk a lot of smack about that rod, but I have fished it all day and not encountered any problems (or any fish). While that is a good deal, and I almost got the same one for the same price, there are better ones out there.
    After a few weeks up at the spey class on the Snoqualmie/Tolt, I would rather get the Heritage or the CND spey rod for around $300 (or less) w/lifetime warranty, and they are better rods IMO.

For me, its the liftime warranty that makes the biggest difference. I break rods like its going out of style.
  5. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Andy,

St. Croix do have lifetime warranties on all of their fly rods....I to have broken a few!
  6. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    "Take nothing but pictures leave nothing but your tracks"

Great rod for the price the 13 foot 7/8 comparable to $ 400 spey rods. Broke it in September casting, St Croix had it back in two weeks repaired.

All imperial models have a life time guaranty.

Will be talking to the st croix fly rod rep at my fly shop tomorrow night at his presentation of Ireland salmon fishing.

Hey Old Man let me know when you give up on the 9/10 weitht st croix I will give a fair offer I promise. }( :p

BG
  7. circlespey Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    It's an Ok rod, not great. I have one as a backup. If I were you I would look for a used Scott ARC or a new Loop which would cost you slightly more; either would be much easier for a beginner to learn to cast on.

With spey rods I have not found the "cheaper" rods to perform as well as the cheaper 1H rods. I love St. Croix Legend Ultras in a 1H rod but I just don't feel the same way about their spey rods (or any other bargain spey rod). I think it may take rod manufacturers some time to get this one figured out. There are lots and lots of taper designers for 1H rods but I think the population of good 2H rod designers must be much smaller.

Circlespey
  8. headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cashmere
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I'll go out on a limb and say its a great rod. I have a 10 built from blanks by a family friend. It's awesome. Compares to the T&T I got through this site. The shorter speys are versatile, but have drawbacks.
  9. circlespey Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    To each his own certainly. A decent caster can make use of it but I don't think it's a great learning rod. I also think it's too weak in the butt (but then I think that about the T&T's too...)

Circlespey
  10. speycast Guest

The St. Croix 1308 was my first spey rod and I still have it and still love it. It is an easy casting rod and not much leaning into the casts is required to crank out line. I have the RIO windcutter multitip and once I figured out the technique to cast it, it was all down hill from there. I use mine mostly in saltwater and have caught some nice SRC's using this rod.

Don't get me wrong, I like to say I own expensive rods and reels, but I have a special place in my heart for St. Croix. They are truly great rods and under rated by some folks that are into the whole name thing! Other than my Loop 9 wt spey rod I have 4 St. Croix's. Great rods, good luck on your decision. Check out the spey clinic on the Sno/Tolt on Saturdays. You can practice and see if you even want to dive into the next stage of addiction!

speycast :thumb
  11. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    I think I have the exact rod in question; I got it off ebay for $150 and I am nothing but happy with it. Maybe someday I'll move up but then only if I am convinced by hands on the rod--it can't be just talk and glitz and glitter.
    I think the rod is worth every dollar given all the fun I'm having with it. It seems, to me at least, that I can throw it a country mile when things go right and they often do.
    Fishing on the Bogachiel a month or two ago, this guy comes up to me after watching for awhile and tells me that it waw "beautiful" watching me cover the water.
    I tried not to fall in but that was the first compliment like that I've ever had in 59 years with the fly rod.
    Mine says its guaranteed for life. I put a Tioga 9/10/11 reel on it for $125 and a Rio Windcutter 10/11/12 for $60. I think that's about as cheap as you can get a competent spey outfit for these days. Hope this helps you.
    Bob, the What? I threw it up on the other bank?:rofl
  12. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Thanks for all the replies and solid information. I guess I'll go ahead and spring for it. My wife has been after me to get a spey rod for a year now, but living on a fixed income most have been out of my price range. Thanks again.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    Well Bob you couldn't of got it cheaper that I did. Mine is a 9/10 14'er and I got it by doing the trading thing. I traded Matt three spinning rods and reels for the rod and he threw in the Wind Cutter 9/10/11 I got an Okuma Intregity 10/11 reel for $74.00 plus tacks. So I got away pretty cheap.

But as for casting it I ran into a problem and I can't seem to correct it so it's sitting in bedroom begging to be taken out but I haven't relented yet. I think that I'm gonna go visit Aaron on saturday and see if we can figure it out.

Jim
  14. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    they sell for $250 at sportsmans warehouse in spokane and kennewick so you are saving about $50 because tax and ship are about equal. my son got one for christmas and i think it is a very good rod.
  15. headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cashmere
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Butt flex is what I'm all about.:) Seriously though, how do you get the double bend w/out good flex in the butt. Besides, I like feeling the butt flex on a big fish. When you feel the arc in the cork-sweet.
  16. windtickler Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    I've been fishing the crap out of this rod. It's a good rod for me, because I have to fish it really well to make it work, so I think it's helping me, but that's just because I do everything the hard way. However, there are way nicer rods out there, and easier to fish, for the money. Had I to do it again, I'd jump all over the Heritage 14'. It fishes so much easier. But it's all personal, and I wouldn't spend any money on a rod I hadn't fished. I recommend going to the River Run spey class. They rig probably 15-20 rods (depending on if a rep is there), and have a bunch of reels and lines. You just can't beat that experience. And if you come, you can fish my St. Croix.
  17. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    "Take nothing but pictures leave nothing but your tracks"

I will have to check out these Heritage rods been hearing some good things about them. In the market for 13-14 foot 8/9 weight.

Going to a spey clave is good but you always find at least one rod or reel you like better than the ones you have so be prepared for a craving for a purchase.

Thank god we don't have many of these out here in GLs. One a year maybe.

Not as many spey fly fishers out here, I Have seen 2 others then me on the river in the last 2 years. But remember our rivers are smaller here.

BG