St. Croix Legend Ultra vs. Sage DS2

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fishforfun, Sep 21, 2002.

1. fishforfun New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am looking at these 2 rods in a travel 5 wt. I can get the SC for $228 NEW (normally $310) and the Sage is $275. I will be slappin a Redington RS2 3/4 reel on the rod I get. So any opinions/experiences with these 2 rods...as well as much needed recommendations? Or is there another good value I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.
  2. mtlhead Member

Concrete, WA, USA
    Why don't you go and cast them both and decide for your self? I could tell you what rod that I would buy, but I'm not going to be the one throwing a line on it all day. I think that one of the most common mistakes made when purchasing a new rod is giving too much weight what other people like, or what the latest craze is. I own a SCIV and love the action, but have no experiance with the DS2 series rods, so I wont comment on that. Most dealers will let you put a line on a rod and try it out if they know that your serious and ready to buy one, it will benifit them to do so. People usally do not come back if they are persuaded to buy something if they are not satisfied with their purchase.
  3. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I have the Legend Ultra and it DOES give Ultra performance. The BEST for the money in my opinion. UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY!
    The differnce in price compared to the Sage should buy you a top fly line, a Cortland 444 or 555, etc. :THUMBSUP
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    My three cents:
    These are two very different rods. You really should cast them first.
    I have not cast the Legend Ultra but I understand that it is a faster action rod. The DS2 is made on the old GraphiteII blank. One of my personal favorites until the SP came along. By todays standards it is a slower action rod. Action-wise the St.Croix Avid is a better comparison to the DS2. By casting them both you can find out which action you are most comfortable with and buy the one that feels best to you. In the end that is what matters most. If the warranty is important to you, well that's another matter. Personally I consider a lifetime warranty as a real nice fringe benefit, and one that I may some day be very thankful for but second to the feel of the rod. Also consider that for trout there is no real need for a fast "rocket launcher" style rod. :pROFESSOR
  5. wheelbarrow New Member

Seattle, WA.
    I'm an avid fan of the Avid. I have a 6wt. It'll launch your line like a rocket if you let it do most of the work. I like using it more than my Sage RPL+ 10 foot 8 weight... but that might be because the rod's big and makes my arm tired.
  6. Michael Thore Member

woodinville, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I've had no experience with the St Croix but the DS2 was my first rod. I loved it. Sage has a great warranty as well. You really can't go wrong with it. Check out Creekside in Issaquah...I'm pretty sure they carry both and they'll string 'em up and let you fling 'em out back.

Keep it bent! :THUMBSUP