Stansport Outfitter stoves

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Feb 20, 2010.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I am beginning the laborious task of picking out a new 2 burner propane camp stove and this model caught my eye. With 2-25,000 btu burners it more than doubles the output of a Coleman selling at the same price point. One of the things I am looking for is a unit that will accommodate my Coleman fold-up oven. I have been using the same stove for 42 years now but the oven really never fit on it square. It is time to upgrade.

Does anyone own one of these or have experience with it? What are the pros/cons of this brand? It is apparent that they heat fast with all those btu's but what are their other attributes?

Thanks for your input, Ive

2. LMFOA

LMFOA New Member

Stansport is a price point driven brand that works with several factories in China to come up with their line. In most cases the goods are stock factory offering, with maybe a few tweaks. That does not make them good, or bad, since many brands do the same.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Only big problem I see is the size of the burners. Nothing wrong with them actually, but you'd HAVE to have a bulk tank for it. You'd chew up a small screw in tank pretty fast with that many BTU's. Why Camp Chef uses smaller BTU elements in their Mountain series (basically the same stoves, just tweaked as well for them).

It looks good. Nothing wrong with it really. I'm thinking of getting one of the mountain series to put in my driftboat (they have models with built in grills to do steaks on and then open burners with it to do coffee or a pot of beans).

Now, is this model your max pricerange? Just curious if there's a reason you want smaller?

4. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    I think there is a tradeoff involving cooking time with the high btu stove. I have one of these Stansport "Ultra High Output" stoves with the two 25,000 btu burners. It will bring 1 liter of room-temperature (70 F) water to a rolling boil in 3:45 (at sea level in San Francisco). That's pretty quick, and since the super hot burner isn't running that long, the amount of fuel used isn't too bad. It only used 27 grams (.95) ounces (by weight) of fuel in a before and after weighing of the 1 lb cannister.

I just got mine and haven't camped with it yet, just messed around with it at home, but I think that since most cooking doesn't involve a need for the highest setting (outside of boiling water) the fuel consumption will be reduced when cooking at lower settings. I think it might be better to have the extra power and not need it than to need it and not have it (high altitude, cold weather).

One thing I like about it is the spacing between the centers of the burners... 12". That means you can use a couple fairly large pots on it at the same time, or a large frying pan and a smaller pot, etc...

So far I like it, but I won't really know until I have camped with it a few times.

5. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    I'm fishing in Jerry's boat!!!!!!!

6. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Just to satisfy my curiosity... I took the same Snow Peak TI pot and put 1 liter of 70 F water in it and timed bringing it to a rolling boil on my 4 burner home range in my kitchen.... 12 minutes and 30 seconds! These little camp stoves are FAST.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Michael, funny they call it "ultra high output". My small camp chef stoves have 20k burners. My standard stoves have 30k. And my high output outdoorsmans have 60k burners. LOL.

Just remember one thing about pots. More space doesn't equal bigger pans. Unless you're using cast iron, which won't completely help, you'll get a centralized hot spot directly over the burner. Rendering the outter edges warm but not hot. Even in cast iron, it won't radiate the heat as well, steal just sucks. Yes, it'll cook, but won't REALLY cook as it should. Why most large skillets were designed for open fires or old fashioned flattop cast iron stoves with radiant heat. I'd suggest a diffuser plate if you truly want to use bigger pans on your stove.

And, remember, field work and home testing are two different beasts. Flame outs, style of regulators, warm up, altitude change, etc, etc, etc can change your burn time. Even at low/medium settings. Plus, electric stoves SUCK! Why I sorely want to replace mine with a gas. Much nicer to cook on. As you can tell, faster to boil water on.

8. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Hmmm. According to the campchef website, the 3 burner Denali has two 12,000 BTU burners and one 5,000. The 2 burner Ranier has one 12K and one 8K. The 2 burner Teton has two 12K burners. The Teton is the most comparable to my stove in terms of size and cost and puts out less than 1/2 the heat.

It means I can use bigger pans.

A 10" cast iron skillet is exactly what I am referring to. I have one and it works great on this Stansport stove. The circle of flame from the Stansport burner is exactly the same diameter as the circle of flame from the burner on my home gas range.

Of course, I already know all that. That's why I specified all the conditions for the test, right down to the altitude. I mostly did it as a comparison.... I am used to the home stove and cook on it every day. The FACT that the Stansport stove is 4 times as fast at home is pretty impressive to me, but I guess not to an expert like you.

And as noted above, my home 4 burner kitchen range IS a gas range and it is still 4 times slower than this Stansport camp stove.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ah, wasn't talking that Michael, I'm talking the outfitter stoves. Should be comparable to yours, and they are 20k and 30k. They are just slightly larger. I wasn't talking about the new mountain series. I haven't even used them yet. But Camp Chef has had two smaller mini stoves for years. They're smaller then the pro 60 but not quite as compact as the mountain series.

And yes, you CAN use bigger pans, doesn't mean it'll heat them correctly. A sized pan was designed to have that heat equally around it. I have a stove that will allow me to put a 20" skillet (and yes, I used to have a cast iron 20" skillet at one time) but will only truly heat about a 10" grid in the middle.

I've been field testing for companies for years, but I'm no expert. But yeah, not alot impresses me anymore when it comes to cooking. When the portable camp oven came out, that raised my eyebrows a bit.

10. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Speaking of camp stoves..........................

If anyone is interested in a classic little backpacking stove I have a Svea 123R that I'm willing to part with. I totally re-built it and it runs like a blow torch!

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Love my little Svea 123 backpacking stove! It's nearly 40 years old. And rebuilt also.

Sg

12. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    I looked on the campchef.com site and don't see any called "outfitter". I found the "Sport Utility" line with the 20K and 30K burners, but they cost 2 1/2 times what my stove cost and weigh a lot more.

I really don't see them as being comparable, especially considering the price points.

I'm not talking about using 20" pans, I use a 10" cast iron skillet on it and it works just fine.

I'm just cooking for me, you are cooking for groups. I believe Ive was asking specifically about this stove I have, and I was trying to be helpful. I don't see how you pushing your camp chef professional outfitter stuff into the discussion is helpful to him at all.

In any case, I didn't come in here to argue with you, so I am done.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    My apologies on this post. I should've taken higher ground. Deleted my post.