Stanwood/Conway fishing?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Allan H, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Allan H

Allan H Member

Hi everyone,

Salt newbie question here: Do the tidal areas around Stanwood and Conway hold SRC or other fish?

On a recent waterfowl scounting trip I was sloshing around in the Skagit Wildlife areas between the Stanwood and Conway area. The areas seemed like they could contain saltwater fish, I even spotted a sea otter fooling around in one of the drainages. However the water also appeared to be really brown and murky, and is deffinitely affected by the tides....

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Allan

2. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Have never fished the areas you are talking about, but I would think so. I've had reasonable success on the west side of Camano (state park) and a lot less success in Port Susan Bay with a lot more effort. In Port Susan Bay, I've heard of people catching searun cutts at Cavalero County Park, but I've never connected on the couple of occasions I've fished it. Have had a little success further south from private beaches. I've heard good things about the north end of Camano (e.g., Utsalady) but have never explored it. Access is an issue there.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Down around Milltown there is some access to the S/F of the Skagit. Good place for sea runs when they are around. Brother in law picked up a big one there a few years ago,but he was fishing with worms. But it is very seldom clear. And when the salmon are running you will get seals and sea lions in there.

Jim

4. Allan H

Allan H Member

When I was checking it out, the water was a lot like mud soup.

I wasn't sure if anyone ever fished in saltwater like that, but I'm assuming that it's gotta reduce your chances of catchng anything down to impossible.

Thanks for the info fellas :beer2:

Allan

5. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    fished years ago by laconner on some beaches in the swinomish slough at the end of the slough where the n fork of the skagit comes in. March\april for the dollies that are dropping out of the skagit system.