Starter shotgun

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Nov 28, 2010.

1. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'm with Roper. Browning BPS with the tang safety, bottom eject and solid performance can be had in your price range if you look and buy used. I've owned one for two decades that I bought used and glad I did. It's served it's purpose. To me it's a much better value than the 870 express.
  2. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    +3 for the BPS... bottom eject is nice and safety on top. Has performed flawlessly for 16 years now. Picked it up used at a gun shop for $300. Bought my younger bro a wingmaster and it too has been a good solid gun. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.
  3. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    While I've never shot a BPS-I do like the tang safety and the ability for lefties to shoot it. My left handed nephew has one and it has been a very reliable gun for him. I have a Browning B-80 12 ga and it has been a great shotgun! I actually shoot it better than my Beretta 12 or 20 ga O/U's! Rick
  4. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    My first shotgun was a Rem wingmaster 30" full choke cannon, I now shoot a O/U, CZ RedHead Deluxe. And its a great gun for the $$$ and with 26" barrels I am digging it.
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +681 / 1
  6. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Blake,

It doesn't take very long to get use to those short tubes does it! My 1100 Special Field Auto loader sports a 22 inch barrel and it balances so nice and swings so fast. It reaches out just fine! Overall it is about an inch shorter than a double gun with 26 inch tubes. If I get another O/U it will be a 3 inch 20 with 24 inch barrels. I think that would make a sweet decoy gun for ducks and great for upland birds.

Dave
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +573 / 5
    Roper I wish I could. But still have kids at home and Christmas coming. I really do appreciate it. Why I love this board!
  8. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    Dave,

Those short barrels have made a huge difference in the game for me! that and having my springer spaniel's first year of the hunt!

-Blake
  9. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I have hesitated to jump into this, but, shit here goes. If you aren't in a rush, "test drive" a few shotguns. I'm sure there are folks on here who would be happy to meet you at a trap/skeet range and let you shoot their guns. That way you can get a feel for the balance, weight and mount of each gun. I mean, you wouldn't buy a new car or fly rod without testing it, would you? I can't offer any shooting to you because I have one semi-auto loader and the rest are double guns. It seems the guns you are looking at are the 870 and the Browning BPS. I've owned both in the past, however, both are good, solid, reliable firearms and their cost is relatively low. Another issue to keep in mind is, as individuals age, the perceived recoil, especially shooting waterfowl loads, is very likely going to be a factor. If you want a preview of the recoil, shoot the largest load permissible on the trap range, 10 shells straight one after the other and you'll get an idea of your reaction to the heaviest field loads you are likely to shoot. This is just my one and a half cent's worth.
  10. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +681 / 1
    Karl has a good point and I could help to a certain degree. I have a BPS in 12 and 16, and 870's in 16 and 28.

Now, where the hell is Graham...just kidding.
  11. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Jerry, as soon as things slow down for you at work we can take my 12 Ga 870 out and warm it up.
    I murder ducks and geese with 3" steel in #2, and have a bunch of other shells around for upland birds.

Let me know when.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +573 / 5
    Thanks guys. Had an 870 offered to me to try out. May have a lead on a BPS too to try out. If they fall through will let you know.

Paul, well since you are the guy I was hoping to hunt with I guess I may just try out your 870. Plus your a southpaw so know you are in same boat. LOL. Plus gotta get up to mar so we can make it a duck/salmon trip on the salmon trip next year. :)
  13. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Has anyone measured the downrange speed of steel? With lead it drops significantly. So much so that I just don't shoot anything faster than a 1,250fps round.
  14. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    You may want to see if the Weatherby PA-08 is attractive to you. I've been looking at a new pump action myself and came across this Weatherby in my research. All I know is that they are a relitvely new gun made in Turkey but, nearly all the reviews I have read are positive. Most people state that is shoots like a much more expensive gun. Can you really go wrong with a Weatherby? I don't know... The Sports Authority had them on sale last weekend for $279.

Then again, there is always an 870.

David
  15. rasbrown New Member

Sacto, CA
    Jerry,

You received very good advice from all the posts above.

I started hunting again in the last few years. Wanted to hunt waterfowl, dove, pheasant and quail. Bought a 12 ga. Bineli Nova, pump action, multi-chokes tubes, 3.5" receiver, 28" barrel, modern synthetics for wet waterfowling conditions, a good value for a multi bird application.

Got to the point where I realized I really just enjoyed hunting while walking behind a dog and the Bineli was a little much for just an upland application, so went back to a 35 year old 20 ga. Ithaca with fixed choke and weighs about 7#.

Bottom line, just make sure you get a gun that fits your needs.

Randy
  16. BRYORS Member

Camas, Wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Ok, this is very simple. Go back to your first response. The 870 is the end of your quest. Period. I have matching seriel numbers of 870 for 10, 12, 16, and 28 gage. Can't get the 410 gage to dicker. This is a great gun and holds it value.
  17. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +483 / 0
    Agree to disagree . . . Browning BPS & you'll never look back or regret. I agree the 870 was THE PUMP back in the day, but that day has passed.
  18. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Jerry, clearly you have gotten some expert advise. My vote, along with may others is the 870 with a synthetic stock. Over here on the Westside you are going to be dealing with saltwater and mud, a terrible combination to subject a nicely finished gun to. I'd recommend the extra bucks for the camo pattern. By January those ducks have figured out what those long black sticks are for.
  19. Fly Away New Member

Portland, OR
    Although I currently have a left-handed Benelli Super Black Eagle and agree with Roper that 3-1/2 inch shells are unnecessary, I've kept my old 870. It's a great shotgun, and mine has beautiful wood from before they started using lumber for stocks. I haven't hunted ducks for the past couple of years but have many happy memories of hunts with that 870. Mine doesn't have a 3 inch chamber, but I've never felt the need for 3 inch loads either. Responsible hunters don't take marginal shots.
  20. Hornet New Member

North Bend Wa
    Benelli Nova is a great starter gun lite weight easy to disassemble and clean.