starting to get it

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Jul 5, 2013.

1. After only being at it a few weeks my spey casting really came together today. I got the feel for modifying my snap t when changing between sink tips and a full floater and was slinging it out there with ease. The other change was just keeping my hands in closer for a more compact stroke. It felt pretty good to "get it."

Jamie Wilson and Ed Call like this.
  2. Prepare to hang up single handers now, because that's the next evolution.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. There is no reason to discriminate between 1 and 2 hand rods.. I learned all the spey moves on a 1h rod, and used them for years, before I even bought a 2h rod. I think it is great practice just getting a feel for the load of the line regardless of rod length. Once you get the feel there is nothing you can't do with either rod.

Being able to snap T or double spey, and then double haul into your D loop, and double haul again on the forward movement with a single hand rod will allow you to air out the entire length of most fly lines. It commonly makes jaws drop too.

4. During my learning phase as a spey caster, I noticed that a cast was either successful or unsuccessful. The feedback was immediate, and lead to steady improvement. That's a large part of the fascination of spey casting. I also learned that when a cast was going to be successful, I could usually tell when partway through it. It's true with both spey and single hand casting that when the backcast/D loop is properly timed and executed, that a successful forward stroke is more or less automatic.