Stategies/techniques to catch sea-run cutthroat with top water sand lance patterns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Stategies/techniques to catch sea-run cutthroat with top water sand lance pattern

Thanks for the Christmas gift, Roger. At this point, it would make sense to enshrine your post in the Articles section of this website. You presented your information in a very concise and organized manner.

When I think about it, you should see if one of our two major fly fishing magazines might be interested in publishing your article. Most pubs don't take unsolicited articles, but exceptions do occur. When you do contact them, don't send the whole article--just send a teaser. That's just to confirm the content and quality of writing for them. I suspect that you won't have any problem making the sale.

Good Luck and Best Fishes during the Holiday Season!
    --Dave E.
  2. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Stategies/techniques to catch sea-run cutthroat with top water sand lance pattern

Mr. Stephens thank you for sharing your experiences to this fishing community.

And may you continue to enjoy your fishing pursuits for many years to come, for would be a pleasure one day to cross paths with you on the water just so I could watch, listen and learn from a fellow fisherman who has mastered at what he has enjoyed for many years.

I think that I can speak for all of us who have read your posts that we will all feel a little more confident and successful in "hooking up" the next time out on the water.

Thank you,

Richard Torres
  3. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +297 / 0

Golfman65:

A top water sand lance pattern which I used for several years with pretty good success is shown on page 141(photo and materials list) of Les Johnson's "Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II" book.

Do a search on WWF patterns forum using "F.T.(floating tube) sand lance pattern" posted by me on 12/24/08. The post(9th post from top) gives tieing instruction and photo. Also, under the same forum do a search of "Floating baitfish ala Mr. Stephens" on 1/04/09 by Tony. The post(8th post from top) showns two good looking top water sand lance patterns which were tied by Tony and another by Double-D. Good stuff!

The foam is wrapped with pearl Kyrstal Flash but other tiers have used pearl diamond braid or similar materials.

I am going to keep under "wraps" the top water sand lance pattern which I am presently using since I am still making modications to it. Sometime in the future I'll post a photo and materials list.

Riseform:

The reason why you have so many pages from my past posts is that if I have not been able to fish for awhile, it get pent-up distress which causes me to be long winded;).

Ceviche:

Thanks for the suggests about a magazine article. In the future it might be something to look into.

Roger
  4. Roger Stephens Active Member

I appreciate the positive feedback to my post. Hopefully my "guiding hand" will allow many of you other sea-run cutthroat fly fishers have a never ending lifetime quest of enjoying and understanding this truely "special wild" fisheries.

Roger
  5. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0

roger- good post with a lot of good information, although i think the fishing would be better appreciated and valued if learned on their own.
    merry christmas
  6. Richard Rust New Member

Hoodsport, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0

I am in total agreement with Smartie..Been tracking them for close to 57 years and I have never said a word..Sometimes it is best to just keep your mouth closed..
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9

Personally, and this is my opinion only, if anyone has read much that Roger Stephens has tried, recorded and shared you can easily know that he loves and respects the SRC and does as much as possible to not only share those ideas but ensure that others know better ways to manage them, catch them and release them unharmed for more to enjoy. If you don't like what he has to say why the hell not say it to him instead of saying it to all of us. 25 responses, 23 of thanks and two of criticism.

Maybe it has been a while since you go solo, keep it to yourself and share no information with anyone guys has read the WFF Home Page. Let me put a little something from there. Maybe you could care less of my opinion of what it says, read it for yourself:

"Welcome to Washington Fly Fishing. Providing fly anglers information specific to our beautiful waters, and general fly fishing topics applicable anywhere.

It's a community site, run by anglers for anglers. Content is provided by the site but mostly, as with any good community based site, it's a mechanism to share info, stories & photos between each other.

While most folks end up in the discussion forum, if you haven't yet you should look through the photo gallery. With over 10K registered members the gallery has quickly grown to over 25K images and some video as well."
  8. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1

I'm with ya Mumbles!
  9. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0

No one is saying that he doesnt Mumbles. I know roger respects the fish for than most people on the board. All i am saying that i expect that his respect came from the hours he has put in. The people that value this fishery and know it intimately have put in the time. There is no way you can fully value this fishery if you havent worked for the fish.
    When you post something on the web, you are sharing it with the world. They dont have to be a member to read the content.
    Do you think that they guys that read this post, and learn how to catch fish from this post, will appreciate the fish as much as roger does? Do you think that a gift wrapped knowledge of how to target these fish is good for everyone to have?
    people might appreciate the post and appreciate the fish that they catch, but the value of the experience wont be there.
    not a critism just a comment.
    i'm going hunting.
  10. johnnyrockfish Member

Kitsap County, WA

Roger balances his information well: enough to be helpful but not enough to give away secret spots. Thanks again Roger and Happy Holidays.

JR
  11. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0

Good luck with that,

Roger is Dr. Jekyll on the board, but morphs into Mr Hyde(s) in his nondescript black boat, flitting about region censored like a ninja.
  12. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0

Thanks Roger...It takes me awhile to figure out how to use the search function...I kept looking in the flytying section but got it figured out...I'll be tying up a few during the winter evenings cigar puff....
  13. Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Haristene Isl. Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0

Roger thank you for sharing your insight it’s truly a gift. I have saved it for later, when the beach isn’t frosted over.
  14. Roger Stephens Active Member

I got chewed out last winter for being too tight lipped for not revealing fishing locations and now this winter I have revealed too much information. What's a poor old fellow like me suppose to do:rolleyes:? Well, I guess it's just a time of year issue plus proves the old saying that "you cannot please everyone;).

Don:

I will disclose "region censored" name since it goes by the code name of "Pink House Pt." where there was a house under construction with pink energy wrap on it until siding was put on;).

You are wrong about my boat since the black color has been changed to a non-descriptive camouflage color which makes ninja evading maneuvers more effective;).

Roger
  15. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0

Roger you don't have to apologize to those who don't like to watch others enjoy what you have shared.
    I'm sure they have used not only your advice, wisdom and fly patterns, but others as well...

I'm always sharing my patterns and helping others who are flailing hopelessly on the water become a little better, and I feel good about it afterward..
  16. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Mumbles I agree and those that won't figure it out or work for it will still be in the dark. Even a short timer like me can appreciate the fish and the work that Roger has done. "A good game fish is too valuble to be caught only once." Lee Wulff this has always been true Bob
  17. Zissou Intern New Member

Fidalgo Island

Thanks for this post, Roger. I recently became interested in SRC fishing, and your post gives me a lot of information. I appreciate your time, effort, and knowledge.
  18. Roger Stephens Active Member

Chris S. has put this post in a new section of WFF so that it can be easily referred to in the future. To retrieve this write-up go to content section and the post can be found in the tactical articles section.

Roger