Stealth Pro from Outcast

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by cmann886, Dec 20, 2013.

1. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0

This one interests me. It is supposed to be available about now---anyone actually seen one in person? What are your impressions?
    SpeyFitter likes this.
  2. MT_Flyfisher Member

Emigrant, MT
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I haven't actually seen one in person, but it really looks interesting from this video. I really like some of its unique features, and I'm sure that Outcast wouldn't be selling it unless it is a quality product. Best of all, you'd be getting it from a company that provides excellent service and stands behind its products.

John
    SpeyFitter and Freestone like this.
  3. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 16
    The features are great but they have not released info about the thickness of the material or bladder design. I'm wondering if it's durable enough for regular use on the rivers.? If so scadden is in trouble considering he can't deliver on any of his products and fails to meet basic warranty issues.
  4. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +368 / 0
    For the price difference, I would still probably look at the scout. I don't know if the accessories mounts and extra foot are worth $300. It does look like a pretty sweet rig though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  5. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    How do you think the stealth and scout compare with the comander?
  6. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0

Reminds me of the old motorcycle chopper days. We came out with great mods and the motorcycle companies came out with them the following year.
    Nice design. :)

Are the bladders AIRE? One site says Vinyl and another says Urethane..?
  7. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    I am not sure who makes the bladders---I would not buy a pontoon with Vinyl bladders again. I really don't need another one, but try to convince myself that I would use one more frequently if it was a blow and go design and think I would prefer the open bow as opposed to the assault or water master design.
  8. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

Open front is a bonus for sure. Specially if you like to keep the tip of the rod down. I like both.

Is this a single bladder boat?
  9. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    Oar mounts are the same as a Scadden, weak point in the design, I've gone through 2 of them.
  10. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    What kind does Watermaster use?
  11. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Blue, are you on Scadden payroll? Every post I read from you is laced with Scadden propaganda. Just curious...

Steezn290 and doublespey like this.
  12. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

Seriously? What propaganda did I bring?
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  13. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Are they different than the water master? What has caused failures of the oar mounts? same failures each time or different?

Luke---you last post disappoints me. I expected better.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  14. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Cmann, questions disappoint you?

Blue, I have never seen a reply that wasn't over the top pro-scadden... Hence my question.

Disregard, both of you, the obvious choice is Scadden... Obviously.

15. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +80 / 0

I'm fairly sure they're all from the same manufacturer, I've seen them on Dingies for boats as well. I've had the metal shaft pull apart from the plastic portion that rotates around the axel while rowing the Madison. Also I've had that plastic portion that rotates around the axel fail and break. I'm actually taking mine to a machine shop to see if I can have SOLID metal oar mounts made that will fit in the plastic patch that is mounted on the boat. Once that piece is replaced, I think the design will be much better for moving water. I have a Scadden Renegade and overall I'm happy with it.
  16. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Questions don't disappoint me, sniping does. I prefer discussions on features of the various crafts. I like to be as informed as possible when making a purchase as I really dislike experiencing buyer's remorse.

I also don't like paying for features I don't use. I likewise don't understand those who feel it a privileged to spend more for essentially the same item with a different label. When it comes to customer service, I will pay a little more for better service if all else is equal. Each of these are why the stealth interested me. You pointed to the scout as perhaps a better alternative---I liked the suggestion, but I believe that it has a vinyl bladder---but if the warranty is the same and if the length is the same, perhaps it would be a better choice for the money.

Thanks scottybs I appreciate the detailed discussion on component failure modes. Perhaps I should be happy with the framed units I have even though it is a pain to set up. If your machined modification works out well, please post about it. I am certain that many would like the stouter system.

The outcast website does not list the stealth so I can't find verifiable specs on this unit. I've read and or watched several videos and find a couple of inconsistencies...some say that it is an 8 foot boat others say it is 9 feet...I have seen it advertised as having both a urethane and vinyl bladder. I believe that it is a single bladder, but again I have not seen a detailed spec on this unit.
  17. Short Fat and Ugly New Member

Boise, ID
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I'm glad to see this discussion on the Stealth Pro becuase we are very excited about this new model. Our 2014 catalogs were delivered last week and our website will be updated by January 1 both of which will give you more detailed information on this model. If you like, email a catalog request or call and I can answer questions, send you a catalog or do both. For quick reference the Stealth has a urethane bladder and the Scout has vinyl bladders. Urethane is a great material but it is expensive. If you fish more than 25 days per year over time I think urethane is a better investment. Both models have an inflable seating platform and an inflatable outside tube therefore the boats have two inflatable chambers. We tested the oar stand system and are very confident in the pin system used on all our frameless models. We tested all the frameless models on flat and moving water and they performed great. Please keep in mind that we are a whitewater company (Aire Inc.) so we have lots of employees that are not afraid to get wet when testing boats.

Chris Callanan
    Outcast Sporting Gear
    800-966-0976
    chris.callanan@aire.com
  18. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Chris; Thanks for the post. I will drop you an e-mail with my address so you can send me a catalog.

cal
  19. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,205 / 0
    scottybs, I've compared the oar mounts that Scadden and Outcast use and they are different - as are the ones on my Water Master. In contemplation of purchasing a boat, I spoke with Outcast about the mounts and they said their oar mounts are custom made for them. The man I spoke with said they spent quite a bit of time perfecting the material used for the pin. I was told that the pins that will be used on the Stealth have been on the market for a year and they have not had a single failure. (He said including when they have purposely tried to break them running a rock-strewn true class 3 river.) Of course, Outcast/Aire is known for their awesome service so I am pretty confident that if someone did break a pin, they would get it replaced quickly. But in a true crisis situation, I'd rather break an oar or oar pin than have the oar mount rip off the boat, so it should be the weak link by design.

Here's my bad pic of the Outcast ones. (water droplets were from washing the boat before returning it to the owner)

Outcast oar patch.jpg

And here is a pic of the Scadden ones:

Scadden.jpg
  20. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I have spare pin hardware for both my Scadden and WaterMaster, and the necessary tool to make the replacement. Not sure what I would do if the oar mount failed and ripped off the boat, or worse, ripped the boat hull wide open.

I thought the pin was to act as a fuse by design, but then maybe the real question is: What size fuse is being used? In a perfect world, you would want it to fail just short of a catastrophic situation. Not sure how a company could be very precise about this.
    Bill Aubrey, scottybs and Blue like this.