Steelhead: 8 or 9wt.?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sportsman, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Looking to purchase a fly rod for steelhead. My budget will allow me to purchase ONE setup[reasonably priced] to be able to fish winter/ summer runs. Would also be used for salmon, but only in rivers. Thanks in advance for your ideas. In the interest of suporting this sites sponsors I'm also looking at the Yancy lines: any positive feedback on their product will be helpful. Time to leave the 'dark' side; if I'm not going to catch a steelhead this year I want to do it swinging a fly! Fred

2. Fred,

I'd go with an 8 wt.

Joe

3. I would agree with Joe, get an 8 weight.

4. I am the champion of NOT catching a steelhead while swinging flies, and my 8-weight is perfect for that task.

5. > Looking to purchase a fly rod for steelhead. My
    >budget will allow me to purchase ONE setup[reasonably
    >priced] to be able to fish winter/ summer runs. Would
    >also be used for salmon, but only in rivers. Thanks in
    >advance for your ideas. In the interest of suporting
    >this sites sponsors I'm also looking at the Yancy
    >lines: any positive feedback on their product will be
    >helpful.

I'm tempted to say 9 wt, but only because so many of the new sticks concentrate so much on casting and not on lifting ability, and you did say salmon was on the menu. However, I would recommend a TFO 8wt 9'6" 4piece 8 wt. at $149.95. I tested these in Mexico on all manner of big and nasties and they are the real deal.

As to the Yancy lines, they work, but they aren't anything you can't put together yourself. If you have no desire to cut and splice, which is pretty easy if you are comfortable working with knots and lines, by all means buy one. If you want to make your own I'm sure a number of us can help you build your own. I'm still fishing a homemade multi-tip I built 6 years ago with an el cheapo Headstart line. It's one of my go to systems :thumb

6. Ditto to Phil's comments on both line and rod.

An 8 is all you need for a single hand rod (and truth be known, a double as well). A nine is fine for winter fish but is overkill for your typical Washington summer run.

7. Definately get the 8wt, it definately covers more bases than a 9wt. Make sure it has a "backbone" (fast-med/fast action) so your able to throw BIG flies in the winter,dirty water,etc and roll cast with less effort. Also don't be afraid to bump up to a 9'6" or 10' length, 9' is just the standard. The 9'6" and 10' rods give you an extra 20-30' of distance,awesome dead drift control, and best of all GIANT mending. All this and still being in the super-sensitve "single handed rod" catagory.
    Good luck!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

8. I say 8wt, mine does me just fine - of course I haven't caught a big nasty king on it so I'll shut up now. Plus, I have never cast a 9wt - just one more reason to shut up :hmmm

G

9. Thanks everyone for the info; D--dry, you crack me up! I was looking at a Lamiglas T1000, but I'll check out the Temple Fork rods. Price seems right, I want to have a fly in the water for about $300.

10. Sportsman- If you could, I would go with 2 rods, a 7 for summer/fall and a 9 for winter with tips, big water, and chum. If you want to get just one, I'd agree go with an 8. I've cast the TFO (Temple Fork) Seies I in 8,9 and 10- I like the rod a lot, reguardless of price. For $99. it's hard to beat!

11. TFO Dealers-- only found one in Port Townsend and one in P.A. Any dealers around Seattle?

12. Like the others have posted, an 8 weight. I'd recommend a 10 ft. For action, I'd also go with a fast rod. Why? Fast action, longer rods allow you to throw more line more efficiently!!! They also help when it comes to mending.

Skinny
    www.northwestflyfisherman.com

13. http://www.streamsideflyshop.com/rods.htm

Awesome rod, awesome deal. Steelhead Guru Dennis Dickson uses this personally. This has a medium/fast action, more on the fast action side if you ask me. I don't own one of these but heard TONS of praise on it. Somewhere between a GLX and an XP.
    Email Dennis in person if you have any technical questions.

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19