Steelhead Advice

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by SixX, Jul 27, 2004.

1. SixX

SixX New Member

I'm an experienced fly fisherman from NC looking to try steelhead (and salmon) on a fly. I am on a tight budget and looking for the most cost effective (ie. closest place to fish) coming from North Carolina. I think that Pennsylvania has steelhead and salmon....does anybody know if this is correct?

Any advice on flies, tippets, techniques, where to fish, etc would be much appreciated.

SixX
    Greensboro, NC

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I see that you are coming fron NC but you didn't say where you wanted to fish for them. These fish are scattered all over the lower 48 and in Alaska. And each place that you fish for them is different. So where you are going would help a little. Besides a search on Google would help a little on to where you are going.

Jim

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    From NC...I'd say you could go North and try for Atlantics or head to the Great Lakes for Steelhead. I read an article about big browns and steelhead in Lake Erie tibs. I'm from Chicago/Michigan...so we fished southwest corner of Michigan and caught many steelhead. However, it is mostly a "gear" show. You could go further north and hit the Manistee or even farther north and hit Pere Marquette. But then you might as well just by a ticket and head to Alaska!

You might want to try doing a search for a guide...he may stear you to some place...or he may not. Guides are "homing beacons" find out their 'area of operation' through advertisements and then contact that area's fly shop. From there put a trip together based on your budget.

Sorry for the vague information...not much to go on though.

4. SixX

SixX New Member

I'm thinking that PA would be the closest place to try. I've been searching on Google and finding a bit of info on the Erie area. Elk and Walnut Creeks sound like a possibility. I'm a very experienced fly fisherman but have yet to try steelhead or salmon. I hear steelhead are not to picky on fly pattern, but moreso with color. Is this correct?

Hiring a guide is out of my budget...usually I do well if I can just find a decent stream.

Has anybody tried steelheading in PA?

Also, are they trout/steelhead streams very crowded in this area?

5. SixX

SixX New Member

Thanks for the reply. I will probably try PA, based on what info I can glean. Hiring a guide is out of my budget, but I rarely need one as long as conditions are right.

Are the steelhead in PA and/or Illinois just in the streams adjacent to the Great Lakes or are there streams stocked with landlocked strains?

6. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

All the PA steelhead and salmon streams are in Erie Co. If you are coming from eastern NC, it may be closer for you to go up to Salmon River in Pulaski, New York on Lake Ontario's eastern shore than all the way to Erie. Plus, I would think that the fishing is better in Pulaski than Erie and the Salmon River has a flyfishing only section. My first steelhead were caught on the Salmon River on a stonefly nymph. That was a winter run (peaks in March), don't think they have a summer run. There is a fall king and coho run also, but I've heard that is an absolute zoo and snag fest. The Oswego River is also supposed to be good and gets far less pressure but I haven’t fished it. Good luck.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most of my fishing in the GL's were done in Michigan and Ohio. There is a good Great Lakes site that may be able to help you out though. http://www.steelheadsite.com . You can ask there. I know they use a bit different setups then we do here. I know alot of egg patterns and nymphs. I fealt out of place first time I showed up to fish winter fish there and had my Washington winterrun flyboxes. LOL. They did work a bit though, but most were having better luck with the egg patterns.

8. bilis

bilis New Member

Go to Michigan, the peremarquette river (city Baldwin), or Muskegon river (below croton dam), good place to fish for steelhead, you can hire a guide or both city have several canoe rental where they will drop and pick you up. good luck