steelhead advocacy groups

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by canyon45, Mar 31, 2007.

1. canyon45

canyon45 New Member

Any thoughts on which of the myriad of groups (Wild steelhead Coalition, Trout Unlimited, The Wild Salmon Center etc) out there does the best job advocating for wild steelhead here in the Pacific NW? I am interested in contributing but I am not sure which group most efficiently and effectively targets the issues -- habitat restoration, hatchery programs, retention etc -- most specific to wild steelhead.

2. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
  3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    I certainly don't know all of these organizations well, but I have been impressed with the Wild Steelhead Coalition. They have a single, simply stated goal to support management practices that help to save wild steelhead, whereas the other groups you mention have much broader agendas. While I understand that Washington TU has been changing, they had a bunch of trouble a few years ago when the national organization pulled the license from the Washington organization. I don't know all the details about that, but I had already let my TU membership lapse, because my local chapter seemed to be all about catching and eating hatchery salmon and steelhead and policies that supported such activities. This didn't coincide much with my interest in supporting such organizations, which are less about promoting fishing than about promoting good conservation practices.

4. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Take an extra look at the Hoh River Trust web site.

5. FLGator

FLGator Member

Personally, I support the Wild Steelhead Coalition and the Native Fish Society. They work for wild fish.

TU's unwillingness to endorse wild steelhead release ended my affiliation with their organization.