Steelhead and gas prices.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    I just bought a Prius and I am getting 50-58 mpg. It's a smart car and has a pretty damn good waranty on the drive train and batteries. I saw a guy with one that had racks on top and about 3 surfboards strapped down. Pretty cool. The truck stays parked unless I really need a truck, and that ain't very often.

Lots of us have SUV's and trucks that we use everyday to just commute or go to the grocery store or whatever that we don't really need to be using. Ever see a mom, alone in a huge SUV, going into the grocery store to shop or to go to the mall? Know any fellows that are afraid to take their V-8 truck off-road for fear of dirt and scratches, won't take off the canopy to haul anything in it, and don't even pull a boat or trailer?

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Well, I'm going to be the Jerk, as well as the old man in residence. I'm not even that Old! Okay, here goes...

I was raised to be a cheap bastard, and concerned about my and my families future. So i say, if you can't afford to drive 200 miles, YOU CAN'T AFFORD A VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET BACK TO WORK AND MAKE SOME MONEY YOU LAZY BUM! TIRED? YOU NEED A VACATION CUZ YOU'RE TIRED? YOU'RE TIRED?!!! WAS I TIRED WHEN I WAS DELIVERING DONUTS BEFORE DAWN, BEING A BIKE MESSENGER ALL DAY, AND DOING EVENING CLASSES FOR MY GRAD STUDIES? DAMN RIGHT I WAS TIRED! BUT IT'S HOW WE DID THINGS! AND I HAD AN ONION IN MY BELT!

Whew... Sorry... Nothing personal... But on a more reasonable level, I do believe that rant. If you can't affod gas, fish your home waters before and after work. I know home waters can be skanky but they are for the most part free... As my mom said to me when I was 9 and I was being boosted into the dumpster behind safeway to pull out the vegetables that "weren't really all that bad": "we can't afford to go to disneyland this year... Maybe next..." :clown:

3. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    I know this is going to sound a little crazy, but many of you could probably ride public transportation to/from work, which for most people is the majority of your driving.

I own an older 4x4 Explorer that gets about 14mph. But I really don't care since I ride the Sounder train to/from Auburn to Seattle every day. It's 26 miles each way if I were to drive it.

Right now, I fill up my gas tank maybe every 2.5 weeks. Even SUV drivers can do their part- park it! :thumb:

4. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Media:
    I recently sold my beloved Dodge pickup and bought a Honda Insight. Last week I made the hike to Gold River on Vancouver Is. I didn't touch a steelie. :( It softened the pain a little getting 65.5 mpg for the 700 mile trip.

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Philster... easy guy! as a matter of fact, I work full time, go to school full time (getting my MSW), and raise two kids; ages 3 AND 4 Months. I deserve a vacation and I'm going to take one- I'm just venting. Sorry if my post dredged up issues for you:eek: you shouldn't questions a steelhead addicts rationality

6. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Hmm Lets see !! $4 a gallon to go to Montana from my house to catch beautiful fish and drink some brew take some pictures and have memories to last a life time cost me in my GIGANTIC deisel truck about $300.00 round trip. I work 12 months a year for about oh 40 years aaaaa hmmmm so WHAT THE HELL IS THE FRIGGIN PROBLEM !!!! Just catch fish and drink some beer would ya !!!!

7. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    My car gets 40 mpg the way I drive it and all of my work money that gets past my girl goes right into that tank. I nab my dads prius each chance I get but he never lets me take that thing on anything more than day trips (for good reason). Soon I think I am going to go the motorcycle route.

Peace,
    Andy

8. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Philster,
    I too once wore an onion on my belt, beacause as we know, that was the style at the time.
    I need a big tall four wheel drive towing machine for work, so to save gas I just park it by the river and camp there when I'm not working there. It means I have to fish alot more now, but we all have to make sacrifices in times of scarcity.
    ps. Just had ANOTHER great morning of dry fly fishing for summer runs, once again no one on the river, must be these high gas prices keeping folks away.

9. Manimal

Manimal Member

gas needs to hit the $5/gal mark for society to finally make some rational changes and decisions - like europe where a gallon costs 6.30 these days.

once this happens we'll get great diesel/ethanol vehicles, suv's included, that get 65 mpg, smaller cars, and cheaper reliable mass transit. - like the rest of the world.

we are spoiled biatches here that live a 'me me me' lifestyle.

10. Chicotello

Chicotello Member

I for one hate paying inflated gas prices while the fatcats at exxon are walking away with record profits every quarter.

That said, Philster...good call on fishing the local waters. Your post made me wonder if there could be a positive spin to this.

If more fisherman choose not to spend the money to drive to a remote, unspoiled creek somewhere and by default they end up fishing the home waters...then will they start to care more about the local resource?

:beer2: :beer2:

11. Hmm I'm curious how many hard working people here got a pay raise to go with the fact that it cost's twice as much to commute to work than it did two years ago?

12. CurtisT

CurtisT New Member

LOL... I was raised on a farm, so I've always had a pickup. My V8, 4x4 Z71 goes with me everywhere, on and offroad. Times are changing though, right now I'm looking at either a Suburu or a CRV. OUCH!

13. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Oh man, quit the whining, after spending many hundreds of dollars if not thousands on gear to pursue this sport, and twenty or 40 dollars extra is going to keep you from a drive to heaven, then just take up bowling or something. a pair of shoes, a glove and a ball and your done. the drives shorter too.
    The teachers i work with have been begging for 5 dollars a gallon for years, claiming that only then will we get a truck that can pull a trailer and a camper, and still get 40 mpg, gee whiz,.... now you guys (u no who u r), get it, and you cry, reminds me of the kids in the back of a car saying over and over and over again, "are we there yet, are we there yet" We'll get there!

'till then, just go fishing! gas was 1.50 back in the early 80's, do the math, we got it good. please refere complaints to 1-800-wha-aaaa.

14. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    :ray1: Spoken like someone with alot of money. I'm certainly not poor, but high gas prices do effect my life negatively:confused: . I guess I'm whinning

15. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I feel your pain. Who'd a thunk your original post would get you labeled a whiner, etc.:confused:

16. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Tuna, i'm not the least bit suprised. Individuals and the usual suspects engaging in the usual/typical thing; missing the point and pointing out the negative.:thumb:

17. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Lots of folks are considering hybrid vehicles today due to gas prices. The cons are that you can pay $3-4,000 more for a hybrid versus a similar model that is gas powered. I read an article a while back regarding hybrids. The article stated it would take the average driver 9 to 10 years worth of driving and gas savings to recoup the premium you'd pay for buying a hybrid. Of course, as gas prices increase, the recoup time will be reduced.
    The pros are the federal tax breaks that arevailable with hybrid vehicle purchases and the reduction of pollutants.
    If you do a google search, you'll find some great info on this topic.

One other thing to keep in mind is horsepower and torque. For those who tow boats and rafts, especially over passes, the general consensus hybrids tend to lack these. This will likely change soon. I just saw on the Speed Channel that Lexus now has a hybrid that produces 339 HP. As soon as Toyota can put a system like that in a Tundra pick-up or full sized SUV, you'll have a real winning combo.
    Until then, I'll fill her up and go fishing no matter how much it costs.
    Brian

18. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Philster & Chicotello
    I believe you guys are on to something important and worth consideration. By fishing close to home we would likely gain more appreciation and concern for our local water. In addition, it IS wise to learn A piece of water really really well rather than run all over creation chasing rainbows. Gas prices aside (I concur also that it's not terrible to spend $300 on a decent trip), just spending more time fishing rather than additional hours of driving is attractive to me. Fishing has never been a numbers game for me anyway. Good thing too.
    Thats a silver lining.